|This article is about the Diesels. You may be looking for the steam engine.|
'Arry and Bert (also known as Iron 'Arry and Iron Bert) are two diesel shunters who work at the smelters and scrapyards of the Sodor Ironworks.
In their first appearance, 'Arry and Bert crept alongside a lonely Stepney, who had mysteriously been sent to the smelters by mistake. They shunted Stepney into the larger smelting shed underneath a giant grabber, and threatened to scrap him. Thankfully, Stepney was saved by Sir Topham Hatt, once the diesels had left.
Despite being villainous, 'Arry and Bert are also known for playing tricks on steam engines, such as making them "middle engines". Once, they shunted trucks in front and behind Percy. This later led Percy to being pushed onto the coal tipper by mistake. Later, 'Arry and Bert played the same trick on James. Sometime later, they frightened Fergus away from the smelters.
Arry and Bert are unquestionably devious and scheming. Although at first they had a heartened dislike for steam engines, they appear to have grown accustomed to their smoke-puffing companions.
Arry and Bert are painted green-grey with yellow hazard stripes on their fronts and rears and yellow cabs. They have "Sodor Ironworks" written on their sides in white.
- Season 5 - Stepney Gets Lost (Harry not named; Bert does not speak)
- Season 6 - Middle Engine and Twin Trouble (cameo)
- Season 7 - Bill, Ben and Fergus (cameo), Fergus Breaks the Rules (not named), and James and the Queen of Sodor (cameo)
- The two are not quite identical: Bert has more stubble.
- In some merchandising, the twins are named "Iron 'Arry" and "Iron Bert".
- 'Arry and Bert's Hornby models have Splatter and Dodge's faces.
- The metallic release of 'Arry and Bert in Take-Along has a spelling error on the character card: it reads "'Arrt and Bert".
- 'Arry and Bert's television series models don't have handrails but some of their merchandise lines do.
- Some merchandise bios and even the Thomas and Friends website say 'Arry and Bert are called "The Grim Messengers of Doom" because of their grim job of melting down engines.
- The 1998 official website called 'Arry and Bert "the Yellow Diesels".
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway
- Take-Along (normal and metallic; discontinued)
- Bachmann (coming soon)
- Hornby (discontinued)
- Lionel (discontinued)
|North Western Railway|
|Thomas • Edward • Henry • Gordon • James • Percy • Toby • Duck • Donald and Douglas • Oliver • Barry • Harvey • Emily • Fergus • Arthur • Murdoch • The Austerity Engine • The Red Engine • Bill and Ben • Daisy • BoCo • Bear • Mavis • The Works Diesel • Diesel • Derek • Diesel 10 • 'Arry and Bert • Splatter and Dodge • Salty • Pip and Emma • Peel Godred Engines|