A Friend in Need is the eighth episode of the sixth season.
Jack has learnt his lesson from the quarry experience and when he stops himself from jumping in again, Alfie congratulates him. However, when Ned the clumsy steam shovel knocks out the keystone out of a bridge as Thomas approaches it. Unable to stop, Thomas rolls onto the bridge. Luckily, Jack jumps in and holds the bridge up with his scoop until Thomas can reverse to safety. Jack can't hold the bridge, and it collapses. Jack has very bent arms, and is very worried what Miss Jenny will say, but she is pleased with Jack's bravery and accepts Jack into the Pack. Jack then goes to get his arms repaired.
- Stock footage from Jack Jumps In is used.
- Thomas' large scale model is used.
- The Italian title is "A Friend in Danger". In Japan this episode is called "Friends, When you have Difficulty".
- When Jack and Alfie load Max, Max's right-rear wheel spins around. It spins again in the close-up of Jack loading dirt into Max.
- Ned knocks the keystone out, but still passes safely underneath the bridge.
- When Ned clears the bridge, his smokestack is missing.
- In the shot of Jack emerging from under the bridge, the studio is reflected in his front window and the ground he travels over bounces up and down.
- In between the shot of Jack's face turning from happy to sad, Jack's roof shifts slightly to the right.
- In real life, the combined pressure of holding up a bridge and Thomas at once would have fully broken Jack's arms.
- When Ned says "Sorry", his eyes are wonky.
- In the shot before Ned knocks the first keystone away, his crane arm goes under the bridge without causing any damage.
- Capsule Plarail - Old Quarry Bridge and Straining Jack
- Magazine Stories - Jack Helps Out
In Other Languages
|French||Jack: Le Nouvel Ami de Train||Jack: The New Train Friend|
|Dutch||Een Vriend in Nood||A Friend in Need|
|Japanese||こまったときのともだち||Friends, When You Have Difficulty|
|Norwegian||En Venn i Nød||A Friend in Need|
|Italian||Un'amica in Pericolo||A Friend in Danger|
|Czech||V Nouzi Poznáš přítele||True Friend in Need|
|Danish||En Ven i Nøden||A Friend in Need|
|Swedish||En Vän i Nöden||A Friend in Need|
|Polish||Przyjaciel w Potrzebie||A Friend in Need|
|Russian||Друг познается в беде||Friend is Known in Trouble|
|Slovenian||Prijatelj v Stiski||A Friend in Need|
|Romanian||Un Prieten la Nevoie||A Friend in Need|
|Slovak||Priateľ v Núdzi||Buddy|
|Hungarian||A Barát Segít a Bajban||A Friend Helps in Trouble|
|Chinese||患难之交||Friends in Adversity|
|Korean||용김한 잭||The Dragon Behind Jack|
|Thai||ขอต้อนรับแจ็คเข้าร่วมทีม||Welcome Jack, Join the Team|