A Friend in Need is the eighth episode of the sixth season.
Thomas is taking some trucks along the line, thinking about his new friend, Jack, who hopes he has improved himself, after having broken the rules for jumping in where he does not belong. The Pack is at work widening the road near the Old Quarry Bridge. After loading Max with Alfie, Jack, having completed his first assignment for working hard, behaving well and following all the rules, feels proud for himself, but he is also worried that Miss Jenny still would not accept him into the Pack.
Meanwhile, Ned the steam shovel is cleaning up a pile of rocks and loads Max, who tries to warn him to be careful of his very full bucket. Thomas is excited to cross the Old Quarry Bridge, as he could see how Jack is doing and knows the Pack is working on the road construction below. Back at the site, the foreman orders Oliver to move a pile of topsoil. Jack initially attempts to jump in but just before he fills his bucket, he suddenly remembers Miss Jenny's warning to not jump in where anyone should not belong. Oliver arrives to do the job, and Jack tells him that the topsoil moving was actually for him. Oliver kindly thanks Jack, while Kelly, Alfie, and Isobella congratulate him. Later, Ned approaches the Old Quarry Bridge and tries to go as slow and cautiously as he can as he is going under it. However, he ends up not lowering his arm down far enough, and he accidentally knocks a keystone out of the bridge which begins to crumble.
Meanwhile, Thomas nears the Old Quarry Bridge, unaware that danger has unexpectedly laid ahead but is unable to stop. Before Thomas rolls onto the bridge, Jack jumps in and holds the bridge up with his scoop until Thomas can reverse to safety. Kelly rushes to Jack's aid, but Jack is unable to hold the bridge any longer, causing the bridge section to collapse before Kelly can help.
After Thomas brings Jack back to the yard, after having damaged his arms, and is very worried what Miss Jenny would say, but she is pleased with Jack's bravery and accepts Jack into the Pack. Jack is then sent to the works to get his arms repaired.
Thomas, now very happy, then returns home to Tidmouth Sheds and welcomes Jack to the Pack.
- Sodor Construction Company Yard
- The Quarry Bridge
- Tidmouth Sheds (mentioned)
- The Works (mentioned)
- Stock footage from Jack Jumps In is used.
- Thomas' large scale model is used.
- The Italian title is "A Friend in Danger". In Japan this episode is called "Friends, When you have Difficulty".
- When Jack and Alfie load Max, Max's right-rear wheel spins around. It spins again in the close-up of Jack loading dirt into Max.
- Ned knocks the keystone out, but still passes safely underneath the bridge.
- When Ned clears the bridge, his smokestack is missing.
- In the shot of Jack emerging from under the bridge, the studio is reflected in his front window and the ground he travels over bounces up and down.
- In between the shot of Jack's face turning from happy to sad, Jack's roof shifts slightly to the right.
- In real life, the combined pressure of holding up a bridge and Thomas at once would have fully broken Jack's arms.
- When Ned says "Sorry", his eyes are wonky.
- In the shot before Ned knocks the first keystone away, his crane arm goes under the bridge without causing any damage.
- Capsule Plarail - Old Quarry Bridge and Straining Jack
- Magazine Stories - Jack Helps Out
In Other Languages
|French||Jack: Le Nouvel Ami de Train||Jack: The New Train Friend|
|Dutch||Een Vriend in Nood||A Friend in Need|
|Japanese||こまったときのともだち||Friends, When You Have Difficulty|
|Norwegian||En Venn i Nød||A Friend in Need|
|Italian||Un'amica in Pericolo||A Friend in Danger|
|Czech||V Nouzi Poznáš přítele||True Friend in Need|
|Danish||En Ven i Nøden||A Friend in Need|
|Swedish||En Vän i Nöden||A Friend in Need|
|Polish||Przyjaciel w Potrzebie||A Friend in Need|
|Russian||Друг познается в беде||Friend is Known in Trouble|
|Slovenian||Prijatelj v Stiski||A Friend in Need|
|Romanian||Un Prieten la Nevoie||A Friend in Need|
|Slovak||Priateľ v Núdzi||Buddy|
|Hungarian||A Barát Segít a Bajban||A Friend Helps in Trouble|
|Chinese||患难之交||Friends in Adversity|
|Korean||용김한 잭||The Dragon Behind Jack|
|Thai||ขอต้อนรับแจ็คเข้าร่วมทีม||Welcome Jack, Join the Team|
Home Media Releases