Bertie is a red bus who works near Thomas' Branch Line.
Bio in the Railway Series
Tank Engine Thomas Again
After Thomas stuck in a snowdrift, Bertie came to rescue Thomas' passengers. He later raced Thomas after claiming he was the faster of the two, but lost after having to stop at a traffic light.
Edward the Blue Engine
Bertie tried to catch up with Edward while carrying Thomas' passengers.
More About Thomas the Tank Engine
Bertie teased Thomas about being slow, but had to eat his words after breaking down.
Thomas and Victoria
Thomas and His Friends
Bio in the television series
Bertie is continuously alluding to his race with Thomas and how he could win next time. He actually raced Thomas again in the seventh season episode Three Cheers for Thomas, but only won because Thomas was sidetracked with collecting the sport medals.
Bertie is friendly and ready to help anyone in need, but can't resist teasing Thomas about being slow.
Bertie is based on an AEC Regal "T Class" London Country Area bus.
Bertie is painted in the common red livery of buses in the United Kingdom, mostly famously used by London Transport. His number plate, "CRD54", refers to the fact that it was first seen in Edward the Blue Engine, published in 1954, and illustrated by C. Reginald Dalby.
- Bertie is the first road vehicle introduced to the series.
- In an original Awdry drawing, Bertie is depicted as a double-decker bus.
- Bertie is the only talking non-rail vehicle to appear in every season of the television series.
- Bertie's French name was Bertrand in the Classic Series.
- His driver's door had always been painted on in black.
- Bertie would often have two drivers, as seen in Edward, Trevor and the Really Useful Party.
- Bertie went through several aesthetic changes in the television series:
- Season 2
- His driver's door handle disappeared.
- Parts of Season 2 & 3:
- Some of Bertie's facemasks have rounded edges on his radiator instead of being slanted.
- Season 3:
- Bertie now has eyebrows on every face mask.
- His face mask mouths are now painted in.
- Season 7:
- Bertie's eyes now move with a motor.
- Season 2
- ERTL (normal and Gold Rail; both discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (two versions and battery-powered; battery-powered discontinued)
- Take-Along (discontinued)
- Hornby (two versions; both discontinued)
- Brio (discontinued)
- Bandai Tecs
- Wind-up (normal and metallic)