|Best Dressed Engine|
December 6th, 2003
Best Dressed Engine is the twenty-second episode of the seventh season.
A "best dressed engine" competition is being held to celebrate May Day. Most of the engines get in on the fun, but Gordon denounces the competition and refuses to participate. Later, Gordon is crossing a bridge when a banner is blown onto his front. Since Gordon is pulling the express, he can't stop and so remains "dressed up" until he reaches Knapford where he is announced the winner of the "best dressed" competition.
- Trevor (does not speak)
- Henry (cameo)
- Oliver (cameo)
- Salty (cameo)
- Annie and Clarabel (cameo)
- Bulgy (cameo)
- Harold (cameo)
- Jem Cole (cameo)
- The Vicar of Wellsworth (cameo)
- The Refreshment Lady (cameo)
- Sir Topham Hatt (mentioned)
- Going by production order, this is the seventeenth episode of the seventh season.
- Stock footage from Special Attraction, Really Useful Engine, Percy's Chocolate Crunch and Bulgy Rides Again is used, as well as mirrored stock footage from Thomas and the Breakdown Train.
- It is currently unknown why the competition is referred to as a contest in the US narrations.
- The Headmaster Hasting's pipe organ from the sixth season episode, Faulty Whistles, is visible at the beginning of the episode; Thomas was pulling it when the narrator says "They knew there'll be music and lots of fun."
- This episode is seen briefly in the 2004 film 離婚弁護士(Rikon Bengoshi). In the same film, Wooden Railway toys of Henry, Gordon, Donald and Douglas are seen.
- This episode marks Murdoch's last speaking role.
- It is said that the banner wraps around Gordon's firebox, but it actually does so on his smokebox.
- When Trevor is chuffing along, studio equipment is reflected in his paintwork.
- When Gordon breaks through the crossing gates, Trevor's cart isn't hit, but in the next scene the cart is smashed.
- After Gordon collides with the cart, his left (viewer's right) buffer becomes severely damaged, but later at Knapford, it's still intact.
- When Trevor passes the farm, the shot is mirrored. You can see because Trevor's flywheel is on his right side, where it should be on his left side.
- The stock footage from Bulgy Rides Again causes a few inconsistencies:
- Bulgy is in his red livery.
- When Gordon leaves Knapford, he's pulling four coaches, but in the next scene, he's pulling three.
- Gordon goes under the same bridge twice. However, an effort: the removal of the upper part of the bridge, is made to disguise it the second time.
- Because stock footage from Thomas and the Breakdown Train is mirrored, Thomas' number 1 is mirrored.
- When Murdoch asks Gordon "What decorations will you have Gordon?" his left eyebrow (viewer's right perspective) is scratched.
- In the shot of Trevor chuffing along before Gordon hits the crossing gates, Gordon cannot be seen behind him puffing.
- If you look closely and slowed the episode in the part where Gordon collided with the banner, you can see the banner actually rolled up in Gordon's funnel like when he was at Knapford by the end.
- In the close-up of Murdoch before Gordon was shown with his proud face by the end, the banner wasn't on Gordon as you can tell due to one of the cords of the banner being missing.
In Other Languages
|Danish||Det flotteste lokomotiv||The Beautiful Engine|
|Hungarian||A Legszebb Díszbe Öltöztetett Mozdony||The Ornament Dressed Locomotive|
|Japanese||ベストドレッサーはだれ||Who is Best Dressed?|
|Welsh||Dillad Gorau||Best Clothing|
|Italian||Le Locomotive Addobbate||The Dressed Engines|
|Russian||Самый красивый паровоз||The Most Beautiful Locomotive|
|Romanian||Cea Mai Împodobită Locomotivă||The Adorned Locomotive|
|Slovak||Najlepšie oblečená lokomotíva||The Best Dressed Locomotive|
|Swedish||De bäst pyntade lokomotiven||The Best Draped Locomotive|
|Chinese||最漂亮的小火车||The Most Beautiful Train|
|Korean||고든이 제일 멋져||Gordon is the Most Wonderful|
|Polish||Najlepiej Udekorowana Lokomotywa||Best Decorated Locomotive|
|Thai||หัวรถจักรแข่งกันแต่งตัว||Engine Dress Race|