Butch, also known as the "Sodor Heavy Recovery Unit", is a breakdown vehicle. He is kept busy in construction areas, clearing rubble, towing broken-down or stranded vehicles, or assisting in engine rescues.
Butch first appeared towing Lorry 3 to the docks after he broke down. After that, he recieved many cameo appearances.
Butch is based on a Scammel tank recovery vehicle. According to the official website, he was constructed out of parts from a diesel, a lorry and a crane.
Butch is painted yellow with a navy flatbed and "Sodor Heavy Recovery Unit" written on both sides in white.
- Season 5 - Cranky Bugs (cameo), Horrid Lorry (faceless, does not speak), Bye George! (cameo), Stepney Gets Lost (cameo), and Rusty and the Boulder (cameo)
- Season 6 - James and the Red Balloon (cameo) and Gordon Takes a Tumble (cameo)
- Season 7 - Emily's New Coaches (cameo), James and the Queen of Sodor (cameo), The Spotless Record (cameo), Toby's Windmill (cameo), Harold and the Flying Horse (cameo), and Three Cheers for Thomas (cameo)
- Thomas and the Magic Railroad (cameo)
- ERTL (discontinued - marked as "Sodor Recovery Unit")
- Wooden Railway
- Take-Along (discontinued)
- Brio (discontinued)
- Bandai Tecs (discontinued)
|Terence • Bertie • Trevor • George • Caroline • Bulgy • Bulgy’s Friend • The Mail Van • The Caterpillar Crane|
|Butch • Thumper • The Horrid Lorries • Sir Topham Hatt's Car • The Other Buses • Fire Engines •|