|Duncan Gets Spooked|
October 31st, 1998
Duncan Gets Spooked is the twenty-fourth episode of the fifth season.
After Rusty helps Peter Sam to the water tower with his train, Peter Sam's trucks break away and fall into a ravine. The Fat Controller punishes Peter Sam by making him work in the yards until he can trust him again. Duncan chortles that Peter Sam's trucks will return to haunt him, so Rusty tells him of an engine who tried to cross the same ravine and fell into the swamp below. Duncan is dismissive, but Peter Sam's driver gets an idea. He and Duncan's crew plan to teach Duncan a lesson and take him across the bridge. After seeing the ghost heading towards him, (though it is actually just an engine formed by fireflies) Duncan is spooked and runs back to the safety of the shed.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Skarloey (does not speak)
- Peter Sam (does not speak)
- Rusty's Ghost Engine (does not speak)
- This is the first episode to use the new large scale models of the Skarloey Railway engines. However, in the fourth season, larger than normal models of the narrow gauge engines were used in close-ups.
- The ghost engine uses Skarloey's model and Percy's whistle sound.
- The engine formed by the fireflies resembles Rheneas.
- In the US version, the lines "Once there, whistled good bye" and "he puffed away" are ommitted.
- When the trucks break away from Peter Sam, a "boing" sound is heard in the UK, while an actual "snap" is heard in the US version.
- When the trucks fall into the ravine, music is heard in the US version but not in the UK version.
- When Skarloey passes by in the first scene, a red wire is visible underneath him.
- In the UK narration, the narrator says that Rusty whistled goodbye. Rusty is a diesel, and does not have a whistle.
- In the US and in various international versions, when Rusty leaves Peter Sam at the water tower, he makes puffing noises despite being a diesel.
- Duncan's face moves when he cries "Whoo-oo-oo!" This also happens to the other engines in this scene.
- Because both scales of models were used, Rusty's face changes size in the shed scene.
- When the fireflies form the engine, the end of the tracks is visible.
- When Peter Sam's driver speaks to Duncan's crew about the trick, his eyes are wonky.
- In a rare photograph, Peter Sam has his old funnel, in addition, the workman next to him is missing his legs.
- When the Ghost Engine goes on the bridge he is white, but when he falls, he is red. This is because they used Skarloey's model as the Ghost Engine.
- Due to a film cut when Duncan's face fades from shut-eyed to looking sad, his cab moves slightly.
In Other Languages
|Spanish||El Susto De Duncan||Duncan's Scare|
|German||Duncan sieht Gespenster||Duncan Sees Ghosts|
|Japanese||まんげつのよるのできごと||Incident On the Night Of the Full Moon|
|Dutch||Een spook voor Duncan||A Specter for Duncan|
|Italian||Scherzetto per Duncan||Trick for Duncan|
|Swedish||Det spökar for Duncan||It Spooks for Duncan|
|Slovenian||Franclja Prestrasijo||Duncan Scared|
|Hungarian||Duncan és a Kísértet||Duncan and the Ghost|
|Korean||유령과 덩컨||Ghosts and Duncan|
|Danish||Duncan får sig en forskrækkelse||Duncan Gets a Scare|
|Romanian||Duncan se Sperie||Duncan is Scared|
|Slovak||Duncana to vystrašilo||Duncan's Scare|
|Norwegian||Duncan Blir Skremt||Duncan Gets Scared|
|Polish||Przestraszony Damian||Frightened by Duncan|
|Russian||Дункан и приведение||Duncan and Bringing|
|Thai||ดันแคนกลัวผีเหมือนกัน||Duncan is Fear Alike|
|French||Dominque et le Fantôme||Duncan and the Ghosts|