Edward the Very Useful Engine, retitled Edward the Really Useful Engine in American releases, is the twenty-third episode of the sixth season.
Gordon thinks that Edward is old and should be retired, and the other big engines agree with him, but Percy is concerned about this. He tells his driver and the Fat Controller about what Gordon said about Edward, who attends to the matter immediately.
The Fat Controller arranges for Edward to teach Stepney to run a new loop line, while Duck does Edward's work, but it makes no difference to Gordon. Edward enjoys working with Stepney, but Duck does not enjoy working with the trucks, especially when they hold him back on Gordon's Hill. Duck is stuck on Gordon's line, and it is too late to switch him to the middle line, so the guard tries to flag him down, but Gordon passes by and tries to push Duck up, but it is no good.
Gordon's crew sends for Edward to help both engines, and as the strange train sets off and pulls into the station, Gordon feels rather embarrassed and is told off by The Fat Controller for saying rude things about Edward who has proven to be responsible, reliable and very helpful. The next day, Gordon apologises to Edward and says that he really is a useful engine. Now, there is no more talk about Edward retiring.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Stephen Hatt (not named)
- James (does not speak)
- Duck (does not speak)
- Stepney (does not speak)
- Annie and Clarabel (cameo)
- Farmer Trotter (cameo)
- The Storyteller (cameo)
- Oliver (deleted scene)
- This was the final episode to be written by David Mitton.
- This is one of the few episodes of the sixth season to be narrated by Michael Brandon.
- Two posters at Knapford read "Alicia Botti in concert tonight at the castle".
- In Norway, this episode is named "Edward the Useful Engine". In Denmark it is called "Edward the Old Engine".
- Oliver was going to appear in this episode but was cut for some reason
- In the American narration, after Alec Baldwin says, "Sir Topham Hatt spoke severely to Gordon," a voice can be faintly heard saying "Take six."
- When Gordon is seen coming up the hill to push Duck, the guard is seen waving a red flag, but in the very next shot, he is in the brake van.
- When Edward buffers up to Gordon a white wire is visible in the windows of the express coach.
- Duck has Oliver's whistle sound at the beginning.
- Some of the trucks that Duck is pulling have their face on the back end.
- In Michael Angelis' 2005 re-narration, the term "freight cars" is used at the beginning.
- Books - Edward, the Very Useful Engine and Help the Little Edward (Germany only)
In Other Languages
|Norwegian||Edward, det nyttige lokomotivet||Edward the Useful Engine|
|Danish||Edward det gamle lokomotiv||Edward the Old Engine|
|Japanese||やくにたつきかんしゃエドワード||Edward the Useful Engine|
|Welsh||Cymorth i Edward||Assistance to Edward|
|Spanish||Edward, la locomotora muy útil||Edward the Very Useful Engine|
|Swedish||Edward, det nyttiga loket||Edward the Useful Engine|
|Slovenian||Edvard, Zelo Koristna Lokomotiva||Edward the Very Useful Engine|
|Italian||La Locomotiva di Spinta||The Back Engine|
|Romanian||Edward Locomotiva Foarte Utilă||Edward the Very Helpful Locomotive|
|Slovak||Eduard je veľmi užitočná lokomotíva||Edward is a Very Useful Locomotive|
|Hungarian||Edward Nagyon Hasznos Mozdony||Edward's Locomotive Very Useful|
|Polish||Bardzo Użyteczny Edek||Very Useful Edward|
|Chinese||爱德华非常有用的小火车||Edward the Useful Train|
|Korean||꼭 필요한 기관차||Necassary Engines|
|Thai||เอ็ดเวิร์ดแรงไม่ตก||Edward Did Not Fall Hard|
Home Media Releases
|<< Season 5||Season 6||Season 7 >>|
|#01||Salty's Secret||#10||Twin Trouble||#19||Buffer Bother|
|#02||Harvey to the Rescue||#11||The World's Strongest Engine||#20||Toby Had a Little Lamb|
|#03||No Sleep for Cranky||#12||Scaredy Engines||#21||Thomas, Percy and the Squeak|
|#04||A Bad Day for Harold the Helicopter||#13||Percy and the Haunted Mine||#22||Thomas the Jet Engine|
|#05||Elizabeth the Vintage Lorry||#14||Middle Engine||#23||Edward the Very Useful Engine|
|#06||The Fogman||#15||James and the Red Balloon||#24||Dunkin Duncan|
|#07||Jack Jumps In||#16||Jack Frost||#25||Rusty Saves the Day|
|#08||A Friend in Need||#17||Gordon Takes a Tumble||#26||Faulty Whistles|
|#09||It's Only Snow||#18||Percy's Chocolate Crunch|