Gordon Takes a Tumble is the seventeenth episode of the sixth season.
Gordon brags to Salty that it isn't "dignified" for express trains to take trucks, but when Gordon is later told to take trucks he swears to do it how an express engine should. He races along the mainline until he is accidentally diverted onto an old, rickety branch line, but he still goes fast even after he sees a "go slow" sign. The old rails finally give way and Gordon tumbles off the tracks and ends up bursting through a shed and stops in front of a scarecrow. Once he is repaired, Gordon is sorry for getting "too big for his buffers".
- Stock footage from The Fogman is used.
- In the Michael Brandon narration, Gordon says "Whoa!" and "Ahhh!" while he is derailed.
- This is one of the few episodes of the sixth season to be renarrated by Michael Brandon.
- In Norway this episode is called "Gordon Gets a Tumble". In Denmark it is called "The Superior Engine".
- In the first scene, Clarabel is facing the wrong way.
- In the shot of Gordon on the old branch a cable is attached to his coupling.
- When Gordon derails his trailing wheels are slightly coming off.
- When Gordon's trucks come off the rails they come off differently in certain shots.
- As the trucks derail and tumble down the slope the ground bounces up and down.
- The guard should have been seriously hurt by the derailment.
- Gordon's driver was negligent to not slow him down, so The Fat Controller should have blamed his driver and the signalman.
- No matter how fast Gordon was going when he was on the rails, he cannot possibly go such a long distance after he was derailed. To add to that, Gordon never seems to stop or even slow down after hitting all those things.
- A wire is visible pulling Gordon at one point when he is derailed.
- Salty: Pulling trucks/freight cars is a silly job
- Thomas: Why the rush, Gordon?
- Gordon: If I must pull trucks/freight cars, then I'll show Salty how an express engine pulls trucks/freight cars.
- Salty: Careful, Captain. You don't wanna get too big for your buffers.
- Gordon: (rattles through the junction) That's strange, I'm on the Branch line.
- Signalman: Oh no! Express trains aren't supposed to go that way!
- Gordon: (looks at the "go slow" sign) I'm am an express engine, I don't go slow!
- (he picks up his speed, causing the rails on the branch line to buckle, Gordon and his train derails)
- Gordon: OHHH, HELP!!! (tumbles off the tracks and into a field, crashing through buildings and debris)
- The Fat Controller: Well, Gordon, you wanted to show Salty a thing or two, and you've certainly done that. You've shown him how silly it is to ignore "go slow" signs.
- Gordon: Sorry, Sir.
- Take Along (discontinued)
- Books - Gordon Takes The Tumble and Gordon in Need (Germany only)
- Magazine Stories - Too Big for his Buffers!
In Other Languages
|Dutch||Gordon Tuimelt Omlaag||Gordon Tumbles Down|
|Norwegian||Gordon Får seg en Luftetur||Gordon Gets a Tumble|
|Danish||Det Overlegne Lokomotiv||The Superior Engine|
|Japanese||すべったゴードン||Gordon Has Slipped|
|Welsh||Tymbl Gordon||Gordon's Tumble|
|Swedish||Gordon Spärar ur||Gordon Gets Out|
|Czech||Gordon Padá||Gordon Falls|
|Slovenian||Gorazd se Prevrne||Gordon Overturns|
|Hungarian||Gordon Fennhordja az Orrát||Spread the Nose of Gordon Reserved|
|Italian||Gordon fa un Capitombolo||Gordon Takes The Tumble|
|Russian||Урок для Гордона||Lesson for Gordon|
|Romanian||Gordon Face o Tumbă||Gordon Does a Somersault|
|Slovak||Gordon sa Prepadne||Gordon Will Fall|
|Polish||Gabryś Dostaje Nauczkę||Gordon Gets a Lesson Here|
|Chinese||高登遭遇挫折||Gordon Suffers Setbacks|
|Korean||고든의 체면||Gordon's Face|
|Thai||กอร์ดอนหยุดผยอง||Gordon Stopped Swagger|