Ivo Hugh was built by the workmen of Crovan's Gate Works for the Skarloey Railway to help out with the additional traffic that had come to the line over the years. He was named after the Chief Engineer of the Maintenance Crew, Mr. Hugh, who thought it a great honour to have an engine named after him. Not much is known about Ivo Hugh, as he never spoke in the last book to feature the Skarloey Railway. However, the bio on the back of his trading card claims that he relies upon the knowledge and experience of the older engines to help him get his work done.
Ivo Hugh is based on the Talyllyn Railway's Tom Rolt, an Andrew Barclay 0-4-2T. Tom Rolt is named after author L.T.C. Rolt, who inspired the Talyllyn Railway's preservation and was the line's manager for two years.
Ivo Hugh is painted in the Skarloey Railway's signature red livery with blue lining. His number is painted in a black circle in gold, and his name is painted on his side tanks in yellow.
- New Little Engine (does not speak)
- In the television series, Ivo Hugh was replaced with Freddie as the seventh engine on the Skarloey Railway.
- Ivo Hugh's name is a reference to his basis' name, Tom Rolt, with even the same amount of letters and words. In addition, Ivo Hugh being named after the former Chief Mechanical Engineer of the Skarloey Railway, Mr. Ivo Hugh, is a reference to Tom Rolt being named after the former Chief Mechanical Engineer, L.T.C Rolt on the Talyllyn Railway.
- Wooden Railway (discontinued)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)