Lady is a small, Victorian-styled tank engine who serves as the guardian of The Magic Railroad, using her magic to keep the worlds of Shining Time and Sodor alive. She is owned and protected by Burnett Stone, her driver.
Lady once came to the Island of Sodor a long time ago, when she was found by Diesel 10, an evil diesel engine who wanted to destroy her. Lady and Burnett both ran away from Diesel 10, but during the chase, Burnett used up all her coal and made her go too fast, causing Diesel 10 to catch up and crash her. Lady was taken back to Muffle Mountain and stored inside Burnett's workshop, where he spent years trying to desperately to restore her to working order, but he did not have the right coal to make her steam.
Years later, Lady was still out of service, and without her, the Magic Railroad began to lose its magic. That all changed when Lily, Burnett's granddaughter, and Thomas brought a truck of coal from Sodor to Muffle Mountain, which proved to be the coal necessary to make her steam. Lady came back to life and returned to Sodor, where she was once again chased by Diesel 10. Lady, Burnett and Thomas successfully managed to escape Diesel 10, and she gave the Conductor Family the gold dust they needed.
When the steam and diesel engines were facing a fallout, Lady and Rusty both appeared to Thomas in a dream of his, and she told him how to resolve the conflict between the two kinds of engines.
Lady appears to be a freelance design, with no real known locomotive prototype. Even though her design does bare some resemblance to the Great Western Railway Holden 101 experimental class.
In her original concept art, she resembles the Cumberland Valley R.R. "Pioneer".
Lady is painted red-purple with gold head lamps on her front footplate, tail lamp, gold buffers, smokebox, funnel top, dome, whistle, side rods, lining and her name on each side in gold. She is also painted a very dark purple on her cab roof, lower funnel section and her footplate.
- Originally, Lady was not going to have a speaking role in Thomas and the Magic Railroad, her only way of communicating was "telepathically" with Thomas when he was on Muffle Mountain and her whistle. She was later given lines to help smooth over cuts made to the film.
- Her face is only visible on Sodor.
- Lady has a coupling on her back, but not on her front.
- Lady has a cover for her coal bunker.
- Lady is the first standard-gauge steam engine not to be created by the Rev. W Awdry.
- Lady was the first female steam engine introduced in the television series and the third female engine overall, the first being Daisy and the second being Mavis.
- One of her concept art images depicts her as a 2-2-2, with several design changes.
- Lady's ERTL prototype toy was a repaint of Rheneas.
- One of Lady's models is currently on display in Japan. Two of her nameplates are currently in possession of ThomasTankMerch on Twitter.
- "So Burnett, you didn't forget about magic, it's safe inside you."
- Lady to Burnett, Thomas and the Magic Railroad.
- "Well Lady, this is your Shining Time too."
- "With your help!" (Uncut Version) "I hope so!" (Edited Version)
- Burnett and Lady, Thomas and the Magic Railroad.
- "Lady, you're a Really Helpful Engine!"
- "And helping each other brings to life the magic in all of us!"
- Thomas and Lady, Thomas and the Magic Railroad
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (two versions and battery model; discontinued)
- Take-Along (discontinued)
- Bandai Tecs (discontinued)
- Wind-up Trains
- Brio (discontinued)
|98462 and 87546 • The Workshop Engines • The Foreign Engines • The Foreign Engine • The Derailed Engine • Jinty and Pug • The Diesel • The Scrapyard Engines • 199 • The Passing Diesel • Other Railway Diesels • King James I • Old Stuck-Up • Toby's Brothers • 8783 • The Old Engine • The Diesel Shunter • 31120 • 10751 • Wilbert • Sixteen • Sixteen's Friends • Albert • Bahamas • D5705 • Pretty Polly • British Railways • Lady • Silver Jubilee • Helena|