|This article is about 'the diesel engine'. You may be looking for 'the episode or the Buzz Book'.|
Mavis was particularly fond of putting the trucks at Anopha Quarry in different places, despite Toby's protests. Toby finally lost patience and left Mavis to her own devices. Mavis, urged by Daisy (Diesel in the television series), started to ignore Toby's advice and ended up looking silly when she got stuck outside Ffarquhar.
Mavis was then forbidden to leave the quarry, but when a thaw increased production at Anopha Quarry, Mavis persuaded the manager to let her go up to the first crossing in order to shunt trucks quicker and formulated a plan to pass the level crossing with help from the trucks. However, the plan backfired when the trucks decided to bump Toby instead, and he ended up being suspended by flimsy rails over a rushing stream and Mavis had to help. Mavis confessed, but the Fat Controller and the Manager were pleased by Mavis' courage and honesty and allowed her occasional trips to Ffarquhar.
In 1987, Mavis was involved in a collision with a lorry and Toby had to do her work while she was absent.
Mavis was arrogant until being brought down to earth after her embarrassing incident at the Ffarquhar crossing. Despite this, Mavis is reliable, honest, hard-working engine, and shows respect for the steam engines.
Mavis is a BR Class 04 0-6-0 fitted with additional cowcatchers and sideplates so that she can run near public roads.
Mavis is painted black with hazard stripes on her front and rear. She has her name and "The Ffarquhar Quarry Co. Ltd." written on her sideplates in white.
- Mavis is named after the Reverend W. Awdry's neighbour in Rodborough, Stroud.
- The Australian Engine shares the same horn sound as Mavis' current one.
- Mavis was the last character Wilbert Awdry created before he retired from writing the Railway Series.
- Mavis' television series model is currently on display at the Hara Model Railway Museum in Japan and is wearing her worried face mask.
- In the Railway Series, Mavis' brakepipe is on the right side, but in the television series her brakepipe is on the left side.
- At the train shed, Mavis wore one of Toby's face masks.
- In some Day Out with Thomas events, Spencer wore her face mask.
- Mavis has gone through a couple of modifications in the television series:
- Season 3:
- Her horn was BoCo's at a higher pitch.
- Season 4:
- Her middle lamp iron was removed.
- Season 3:
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway
- Take-Along (discontinued)
- Bandai Tecs
- Wind-up Trains