Middle Engine is the fourteenth episode of the sixth season.
One day when Percy was collecting coal trucks from the smelter yard to take to the coaling plant, but two diesels named' Arry and Bert play a trick on Percy by shunting trucks in front of him making him a middle engine. Percy had to go slow with trucks in front and behind him and James teased him as a slowcoach. Percy had to put his trucks in front of him to the tipper for the coal to be dumped.
Percy know it's against the rules for engine to go on the tipper's loading ramp, but when his driver and firemen left, Henry arrived to collected some coal trucks, but was unaware that Percy was there and Percy was lifted onto the loading ramp with his coal dumped out and was brought back down. The yard manager was cross at Percy for causing confusion and delay and reported the accident to Sir Topham Hatt.
That night at the sheds, Sir Topham Hatt was cross with Percy for going onto the loading ramp and sent him to work in the yard until the incident is sorted out. James, hoping no one could hear him brags that he can handle 'Arry and Bert, but Sir Topham Hatt heard him and nominates James to the smelters yard to do Percy's work tomorrow.
The next morning James met 'Arry and Bert at the smelters and tells them to shunt his trucks for him. When James happily collected his trucks, he was sure got 'Arry and Bert to behave, but 'Arry and Bert play the same trick on James making him a middle engine like Percy. James said he's not a middle engine like Percy and he refuses to move, so Percy has to pull James to the Docks. Percy then jokes that James is learning to be a middle engine, leaving James humiliated.
- 'Arry and Bert
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Thomas (does not speak)
- Henry (does not speak)
- Gordon (does not speak)
- Duck (cameo)
- Annie and Clarabel (cameo)
- In the American narration, the line "Slow Coach Percy" is changed to "Pokey Percy". The line "I'm not a truck!" is also omitted.
- Scrap models of Thomas, Gordon, James, Toad, and Donald or Douglas are seen.
- In Norway this episode is called "In the Middle".
- In the first close-ups of 'Arry and Bert, James is meaninglessly standing alongside them: stock footage from later into the episode is used.
- Percy takes full coal trucks to the coaling yard from the steelworks, but Percy should be collecting full trucks from the coaling yard and taking them to the steelworks to fuel the furnaces.
- When Percy gets pushed onto the ramp he isn't tethered to it, but he is in the next scene.
- Percy's siderods immediately change position when he's on the loading ramp.
- When 'Arry and Bert roll alongside James, James and Bert's eyes are wonky.
- Percy's steam platform is visible when he leaves with James and the trucks.
- Percy should have fallen into the hopper when tipped at such an angle.
- The Fat Controller blames Percy for going on the tipper, when he should have blamed Henry, 'Arry, and Bert.
- The trucks should have been derailed when Percy was lifted up the ramp because they were coupled up to him, but they seem to be uncoupled when Percy goes up.
- It is said that engines hate being "stuck in the middle", but engines such as Salty, Mavis, and Peter Sam have been seen as middle engines before and seemed to be enjoying themselves.
- In a close-up of Percy being tipped over, the rails underneath him disappear.
- Percy's cab windows are blacked out when he is on the tipper.
- Percy: Oh bother!
- 'Arry: Little green piggy in the middle!
- 'Arry: Little red piggy in the middle!
- Bert: Just like Percy!
- James: I am NOT like Percy. I am not a middle engine, and I'm not moving!
- Narrator: And he didn't.
- Manager: Right on time! But what is that big red engine doing in the middle?
- Percy: Learning.
- Manager: Learning what?
- Percy: Learning to be a middle engine!
- Books - Percy and James in the Middle and Thomas, James and the Diesels (Germany only)
In Other Languages
|Norwegian||Midt i Mellom||In the Middle|
|Slovenian||Lokomotiva na sredi||The Locomotive in the Middle|
|Italian||La Locomotiva Intermedia||The Middle Engine|
|Hungarian||A Középső Mozdony||The Middle Engine|
|Russian||Паровоз посередине||The Steam Locomotive in the Middle|
|Czech||Uprostřed||In the Middle|
|Romanian||Locomotivă de Mijloc||Locomotive in the Middle|
|Slovak||Prostredná lokomotíva||The Middle Locomotive|
|Polish||Środkowa Lokomotywa||Central Locomotive|
|Korean||중간에 끼면?||Pinched in the Middle?|
|Danish||Midterlokomotivet||The Central Engine|
|Thai||เจมส์ไม่ชอบอยู่ตรงกลาง||James Did Not Like in the Middle|
|Dutch||De middelste locomotief||The Middle Engine|