Mike is a strong red engine who prefers goods trains to passengers. His temper matches his paint, and he can often be hot-headed.
Mike worked on an unnamed line in England until 1967, at which time their line closed down and he, Rex and Bert, were sent to Sodor to work the Arlesdale Railway. He is proud of his whistle, which he once lost trying to shoo a cow.
Mike is painted in the NWR's crimson livery and blue-and-yellow lining. He has a brass dome, red nameplates with yellow writing mounted each side of his smokebox and "Arlesdale" written on his tender in yellow.
- Small Railway Engines - Ballast, Tit for Tat, Mike's Whistle, and Useful Railway
- Oliver the Western Engine - Donald's Duck (not named; does not speak) and Resource and Sagacity (cameo)
- Duke the Lost Engine - Sleeping Beauty
- Jock the New Engine - We Need Another Engine (does not speak), Sticking Power, Jock, and Teamwork
- Wilbert the Forest Engine - Wired-Up (does not speak)