|Mind that Bike|
20th November 1995 (UK)
Tom Tipper is the local Sodor postman who takes the mail from Thomas and Percy's post trains to deliver to the residents of Sodor. He is very friendly and always helps to load the mail vans, but knows he could never do his job without his trusty post van.
One morning, Tom is unwell and his replacement, who is forced to ride a bicycle, leaves the mail to be unloaded without a word. Percy's driver attributes his bad mood to having to use the bike. When Tom does return, Percy discovers that he, too, has been given a bicycle as his van was considered too costly to maintain. Due to this, Tom no longer has time to help load the trains, which makes him very upset. Percy wishes he could cheer Tom up, but is unsure how.
Just as Tom is about to leave, he is called to The Fat Controller's office. Knowing this will make him very late, he rushes off and, in his haste, leaves his bike propped up against Percy's mail vans, despite the tank engine's attempts to stop him. Percy's driver is unaware of this and as Percy starts, the bike falls onto the line and is crushed beneath the vans.
When Tom returns, Percy apologises for ruining his bike. Tom assures him it isn't his fault, but laments the fact he'll now have to deliver all the mail on foot. When Percy returns the next day, however, he finds that Tom has received a brand new van. Tom explains that the postmaster, after learning about what had happened, decided that the van was worth the expense after all, and cheerfully goes back to his work. Percy is delighted that he was able to help his friend after all, albeit by accident.
- Tom Tipper
- Bertie (does not speak)
- James (cameo)
- Duck (cameo)
- Oliver (cameo)
- Annie and Clarabel (cameo)
- Toad (cameo)
- Bulgy (cameo)
- Jem Cole (cameo)
- Refreshment Lady (cameo)
- The Dryaw Policeman (cameo)
- Sir Topham Hatt (mentioned)
- Road Beside Rail and Canal Runby
- Bulgy's Bridge
- The Seaside Village
- Elsbridge (deleted scene)
- Sir Topham Hatt's Office (mentioned)
- This episode is based on the story of the same name from the Railway Series book, Really Useful Engines.
- This was the final episode of several things:
- The final episode adapted from a story written by Christopher Awdry.
- The final episode narrated by George Carlin as well as Trine Lossius Borg in Norway and Mykola Koziy in Ukraine.
- The final episode shown on Mr. Conductor's Thomas Tales.
- The final production based on a story from the Railway Series until The Adventure Begins.
- The last episode to be based on a story from the Railway Series until the twentieth season episode Tit for Tat.
- The final episode to introduce a character from the Railway Series until Sodor's Legend of the Lost Treasure.
- The final appearance of Bulgy until the seventh season episode Bulgy Rides Again.
- The final appearance of Tom Tipper until the tenth season episode The Green Controller.
- This was the first season finale that was not Christmas-themed.
- The Railway Series story had one thing that this episode changed. Instead of boys taking the bike, Tom Tipper is said to be in a hurry and being careless.
- Tom Topper delivers mail to a man who resembles Michael Angelis.
- Throughout the episode, Bertie has Bulgy's horn sound.
- When Tom Tipper's van passes Bertie, his undercarriage is loose and a wire is visible.
- In the sixth shot of the episode, the camera lens is visible in the top left corner.
- After Percy crushes the bike there is a shot of his cab, judging by the amount of space and the shape of the windows, it is really Duck's cab.
- When Tom drives away in his new van, part of the driving mechanism is visible underneath.
- In both narrations, the narrators change tense throughout the episode.
- When Tom Tipper says "This is going to make me later still" he is smiling. This also happens when he props his bike up against one of Percy's mail trucks.
- After Percy arrives at Callan when he saw the dumped bags, his cab roof was loose.
- The hub caps on Tom Tipper's post van change from red to black throughout the episode.
- The roof on Tom Tipper's post van change from white to black throughout the episode.
- The font on the station signs change throughout the episode.
- When Callan is in view from the stone bridge, on Thomas' line there is a van and a brake van in front of him.
- Near the end of the episode when Percy arrives at Callan, Oliver can be seen on a siding. But a few seconds later, he passes Percy with a train.
In Other Languages
|Norwegian||Pass deg for sykkelen||Beware of the Bike|
|German||Wer bringt die Post?||Who Brings the Mail?|
|Dutch||Pas op voor de fiets||Beware the Bicycle|
|Italian||Tom Tipper il postino||Tom Tipper the Postman|
|Swedish||Tur i oturen||Blessing in Disguise|
|Finnish||Pyörät Mutkalla||Wheels Kinked|
|Polish||Uwaga Rower||Note Bike!|
|Japanese||ゆうびんやとバン||A Postman and His Van|
|Spanish||Un Favor Accidental||An Accidental Favour|
|Czech||Pozor! kolo||Careful! Bike|
|Slovenian||Pazi Na Kolo||Keep an Eye on Your Bike|
|Danish||Held i uheld||A Blessing in Disguise|
|Russian||Осторожно с велосипедом||Caution with a Bicycle|
|Ukrainian||Зважай на велосипед||Consider the Bike|
|Hungarian||A Postásbicikli||The Postman's Bike|
|Chinese||注意自行车||Note that Bike|
|Greek||Προσοχή στο ποδήλατο||Beware the Bike|
|Romanian||Ai Grijă la Bicicletă||Watch the Bike|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Cuidado com a Bicicleta!||Take Care with the Bike!|
|Slovak||Poštárov Bicykel||The Postman's Bicycle|
|Thai||บุรุษไปรษณีย์คนขยัน||Postman's Hard Worker|
Home Media Releases
|<< Season 3||Season 4||Season 5 >>|
|#01||Granpuff||#10||Rock 'n' Roll||#19||Henry and the Elephant|
|#02||Sleeping Beauty||#11||Special Funnel||#20||Toad Stands By|
|#03||Bulldog||#12||Steam Roller||#21||Bulls Eyes|
|#04||You Can't Win||#13||Passengers and Polish||#22||Thomas and the Special Letter|
|#05||Four Little Engines (episode)||#14||Gallant Old Engine (episode)||#23||Paint Pots and Queens|
|#06||A Bad Day for Sir Handel||#15||Rusty to the Rescue||#24||Fish|
|#07||Peter Sam and the Refreshment Lady||#16||Thomas and Stepney||#25||Special Attraction|
|#08||Trucks (episode)||#17||Train Stops Play||#26||Mind that Bike|
|#09||Home at Last||#18||Bowled Out|