No Sleep for Cranky is the third episode of the sixth season.
Brendam Docks is one of the most busiest places on Sodor. Visitors come and go, and cargo comes to be unloaded. This causes trouble for Cranky the Crane, who is forced to work day and night without any breaks. The only company he has are the seagulls who rest on his crane arm. This is why Cranky is always cranky.
One day, Salty arrives late, and Cranky snaps at him. Bill and Ben pull up, and Cranky demands them to hurry up. The twins tell him he is no fun, to which he retaliates. The twins suspect that he is lonely, and Salty compares this hypothesis to an old, lonely Grand Banks lighthouse keeper, which to Cranky's dismay, leads to a story. This makes Cranky even more cranky, and he drops some pipes onto the tracks instead of the flatbeds. They roll into the shed, which topples on the ground, trapping everyone.
Sir Topham Hatt is being measured for a new suit when he gets the news. Knowing that any mishap at the docks can cause confusion and delay, he sets off. He reprimands Cranky for his actions, and tells the engines that they will have to wait for help. Cranky groans as Salty mutters those six fateful words: "That reminds me of a story!" All through the night, Salty tells sea stories, hurting Cranky's ears and delighting Bill and Ben.
In the morning, Salty is still telling tales. Cranky is about to lose it when Harvey finally arrives. Cranky is happy and claims he will never be rude again in exchange for not listening to Salty's stories. Soon, Cranky is a happy crane, saying "please" and "thank you." Thomas and Percy are amazed, and Thomas says that this is new. Unfortunately, he speaks too soon, as Cranky cannot help dropping more pipes, blocking Percy. Thomas, Percy, and Harvey find this funny, but Cranky is just cranky.
- Bill and Ben
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Gordon (cameo)
- James (cameo)
- Stephen Hatt (cameo)
- Jeremiah Jobling (cameo)
- The Refreshment Lady (cameo)
- Henry (deleted scene)
- Stock footage from Cranky Bugs, Something in the Air, Salty's Secret, and Harvey to the Rescue is used.
- This is one of the few episodes of the sixth season to be narrated by Michael Brandon.
- Salty refers to "The Great Banks," an island off the coast of Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.
- In Denmark this episode is named "Cranky's Long Night".
- When the narrator says, "...so cranky that he swung his arm around", a wire is used to swing Cranky around.
- When the shed falls, Salty is actually hit by it.
- Salty's right eye moves upwards when he says, "You’ve blown the main now, matey!"
- When Salty says, "That reminds me of a lonely old Banks lighthouse keeper!", he shakes a bit.
- In Salty's story, it is obvious that the waves pelting the steamer are sprayed by a hose.
- In the close-ups of Cranky, eye mechanism is visible in his cab.
- Could Cranky not have lifted up the shed after it fell?
- The Fat Controller said that Harvey would clear up the mess in the morning, but the shed's roof would be much too heavy for Harvey.
- The man who told Sir Topham Hatt about the news does not have any eyebrows.
- At one point Alec Baldwin says "trucks".
- In a close-up of Thomas, wires can be seen in Percy's right window.
- Brakevans should have been added to Thomas and Percy's trains.
- How were the engines trapped? They could have gone through the Sodor Shipping Company.
- Books - No Sleep for Cranky and Excitement at the Port (Germany only)
- Magazine Stories - No Sleep for Cranky
In Other Languages
|Norwegian||Ingen søvn for Cranky||No Sleep for Cranky|
|Japanese||ねむれないクランキー||Cranky Can't Fall Asleep|
|Danish||Crankys lange nat||Cranky's Long Night|
|Swedish||Sömnlösa Gnällis||Sleepless Cranky|
|Italian||Cranky non dorme mai||Cranky Never Sleeps|
|Slovenian||Živko nima časa počivati||Cranky has no time to Rest|
|French||Non Dormir pour Cranky||No Sleep for Cranky|
|Romanian||Fără Somn pentru Cranky||Cranky Without Sleep|
|Chinese||难以入睡||Difficulty Falling Asleep|
|Korean||심통 대장 크랭키||Sea Captain Cranky|
|Slovak||Nespi Cranky||Do Not Sleep Cranky|
|Russian||Бессонная ночь Крэнки||Cranky's Sleepless Night|
|Hungarian||Cranky Nem Alhat||Not Cranky Sleep|
|Polish||Bezsenność Karolka||Without Sleep for Cranky|
|Dutch||Cranky mag niet slapen||Cranky Can Not Sleep|