Nancy, the guard's daughter, has just finished polishing Skarloey while reminding him that Rheneas is coming home. Skarloey asks Nancy to polish him again. Duncan wants a polish too, but Nancy does not have time because she has to help The Refreshment Lady with the passengers. Duncan is very cross and complains about Peter Sam getting a special funnel, Sir Handel getting special wheels, and passengers getting refreshments while he doesn't even get polished.
His driver then tells him that one of Skarloey's coaches has come off the rails and they're to help clear the mess, and Duncan sulks about all the extra work. Duncan brings workmen to get the coach back on the rails, and he has to take the passengers home. Duncan makes the journey back very difficult, so his driver decides to stop to build up steam, but Duncan doesn't try, accusing his driver that he doesn't care enough about him. Finally, they start off again, but Duncan loses his patience and rudely stalls on the viaduct. He refuses to go on and stays put. Skarloey pulls him home, with the passengers cross and telling everyone what a bad railway it is.
The Fat Controller scolds Duncan and he retorts under his breath: "No polish means no passengers." Duncan still has a lot to learn.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Rheneas (does not speak)
- Refreshment Lady (does not speak)
- Thomas (cameo)
- Percy (cameo)
- Jem Cole (cameo)
- Jeremiah Jobling (cameo)
- Mrs. Kyndley (cameo)
- Farmer Trotter (cameo)
- Sir Handel (mentioned)
- Peter Sam (mentioned)
- Crovan's Gate
- Lakeside Bridge
- Lakeside Junction
- Sodor Castle
- Rheneas Viaduct
- Skarloey Railway Engine Sheds
- The Mountain Line
- This episode is based on the story of the same name from The Railway Series book, Gallant Old Engine.
- Nancy's rag is a piece of blu-tak.
- Stock footage from A Bad Day for Sir Handel is used.
- References to Special Funnel and Steam Roller are made.
- When the passengers are complaining, one of them can be heard saying "We're losing money!"
- Rheneas appeared near the end of the episode, but he is supposed to be at the Works.
- In the close-up of Duncan complaining about not being polished at the beginning, his face moves. In the same shot, a hair or piece of wire can be seen behind Skarloey.
- In Skarloey's flashback, Skarloey has Duncan's whistle sound and Rheneas has Sir Handel's whistle sound.
- In the picture from the former, Duncan was wearing his normal face, while his reflection shows him wearing his angry face.
- After Duncan takes away Skarloey's train, the brakevan moves from the front of the train to the back.
- When Duncan passes through Crovan's Gate, he has a different whistle sound.
In Other Languages
|Spanish||Pasajeros y Lustres||Passengers and Polishes|
|German||Auf Hochglanz für die Passagiere||To a Shine for the Passengers|
|Norwegian||Pomp og prakt||Glory and Gaudiness|
|Japanese||ボディーをみがいて||Polish a Body|
|Dutch||Passagiers en Poetsen||Passengers and Polish|
|Czech||Cestující a leštidla||Passengers and Polish|
|Finnish||Matkustajat ja kiillotukset||Passengers and Polish|
|Polish||Pasażerowie i Polerowanie||Passengers and Polishing|
|Italian||Niente Lucidatura per Duncan||No Polish for Duncan|
|Welsh||Dim Teithiwr, Dim Polish||No Passengers, No Polish|
|Hungarian||Duncan duzzog||Duncan Sulks|
|Slovenian||Potniki in loščilo||Passengers and Polish|
|Chinese||乘客和擦光油||Passengers and Rub Varnished|
|Romanian||Pasageri și Lustruiri||Passengers and Polishing|
|Slovak||Cestujúci a Policajt||Passengers and Policemen|
|Danish||Passagerer og Polering||Passengers and Polishing|
|Russian||Пассажиры и полировка||Passengers and Polishing|
|Ukrainian||Пасажири i начищання||Passengers and Grinding|
|Swedish||Passagerare och Polering||Passengers and Polishing|
|Greek||Οι επιβάτες και στίλβωσης||Passengers and Polishing|
|Thai||ดันแคนเกเรหนัก||Duncan Unruly Heavy|
|Brazilian Portuguese||O Invejoso||The Envious|
|Korean||심통대장, 덩컨||In General, Duncan|
Home Media Releases
|<< Season 3||Season 4||Season 5 >>|
|#01||Granpuff||#10||Rock 'n' Roll||#19||Henry and the Elephant|
|#02||Sleeping Beauty||#11||Special Funnel||#20||Toad Stands By|
|#03||Bulldog||#12||Steam Roller||#21||Bulls Eyes|
|#04||You Can't Win||#13||Passengers and Polish||#22||Thomas and the Special Letter|
|#05||Four Little Engines (episode)||#14||Gallant Old Engine (episode)||#23||Paint Pots and Queens|
|#06||A Bad Day for Sir Handel||#15||Rusty to the Rescue||#24||Fish|
|#07||Peter Sam and the Refreshment Lady||#16||Thomas and Stepney||#25||Special Attraction|
|#08||Trucks (episode)||#17||Train Stops Play||#26||Mind that Bike|
|#09||Home at Last||#18||Bowled Out|