|This article is about the engine. You may be looking for the controller.|
Peter Sam, named after the Skarloey Railway's previous controller, Mr. Peter Sam - previously Stuart, after his builder, Kerr Stuart - is a narrow-gauge tank engine who lives and works on the Skarloey Railway.
Stuart was built by Kerr Stuart Works in Stoke-on-Trent, England.
After the line closed down in 1947, he and Falcon were sold to the Sodor Aluminium Company at Peel Godred and worked there until 1951, at which time both engines were sheeted for a year until they were purchased by the Skarloey Railway in 1951.
Upon arriving, Stuart - renamed Peter Sam - had many adventures. One of his more notable story arcs involved his funnel, which was severely damaged after an accident at the incline. The funnel eventually fell off as he passed under a tunnel, and it was temporarily replaced with a rusty pipe. Peter Sam was soon given a new funnel, a Giesl ejector, which suits him much better.
Peter Sam is kind, well-mannered and popular with passengers and coaches alike. Even the trucks do not play tricks on him.
In the television series, he is portrayed similarly, occasionally making mistakes by feeling self-important.
In the Railway Series, Peter Sam was painted green while working on the Mid Sodor Railway. After arriving on the Skarloey Railway, he was repainted in the Skarloey Railway's red livery with blue-and-yellow lining.
In the television series, Peter Sam has always been painted dark green with red and yellow lining.
- The Reverend W. Awdry's model of Peter Sam is currently on display at the Narrow Gauge Museum in Tywyn. Awdry's model of Stuart was at the Reverend Teddy Boston's Cadeby Light Railway, before the railway finally closed in 2005.
- Peter Sam's large scale model is currently on display at Hara Model Railway Museum in Kyoto, Japan.
- Peter Sam's small scale model (used in the fourth and fifth seasons) with a slate truck was sold at Vectis for £2600.
- Peter Sam's small scale model had bent side rods throughout the fourth and fifth seasons.
- His original Wooden Railway toy along with Thomas' both made a cameo appearance in an episode of Australia's Funniest Home Videos.
- The Gisele Ejector was removed from Peter Sam's basis, Edward Thomas, however, the same has yet to be done to Peter Sam.
- Peter Sam has undergone numerous modifications through the television series, including:
- Season 4:
- The special funnel, which appears to be more of a simple square funnel than a Giesl Ejector design.
- Season 5 (Large scale model only):
- His buffers changed from grey to silver.
- His eyes and nose became slightly larger.
- His running board changed shape slightly.
- His eyebrows changed shape.
- Season 6:
- His buffers were painted black.
- His whistle changed shape slightly.
- Season 4:
- "Peter Sam's said again and again,
- his new funnel will put ours to shame.
- He went into the tunnel
- lost his old funnel.
- Now his famous new funnel's a drain!"
- Sir Handel teasing Peter Sam, Special Funnel, Gallant Old Engine
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway
- Take-Along (discontinued)
- Wind-up Trains (Japan only)
- Bandai Tecs
- Brio (discontinued)
|Mid Sodor Railway|
|Duke • Stanley • Falcon • Stuart • Other Mid Sodor Railway Engines|
|Skarloey • Rheneas • Sir Handel • Peter Sam • Rusty • Duncan • Ivo Hugh • Duke • Fred • Bertram • Mark V • Ministry of Defence Engine|