Salty is a diesel shunter who works at Brendam Docks.
Salty worked on an unnamed coastal railway for many years, where he acquired his vast collection of stories and songs and possibly his sailor's accent, before coming to Sodor to work at the Centre Island Quarry with Mavis, Bill and Ben. Salty was upset, being used to working near the sea, but he soon won the trucks over with his tales and sea shanties, and as a reward for his hard work was sent to work at Brendam Docks.
Salty's presence at the docks led to Cranky having a huge distaste for Salty's stories. Cranky snapped at Salty when he pulled up, and when Salty thinks that Cranky needs company, this made him recall a story about a lonely old Grand Banks lighthouse keeper. He starts to tell this story to Bill and Ben (who haven't heard it before), infuriating Cranky. Salty, Bill and Ben being trapped at Brendam Docks led to Salty telling the twins many stories all night, making Cranky very grateful when Harvey arrived to clear their line.
Gordon told Salty to keep his distance lest he make his paint sooty, but Salty pointed out that his job requires him to get sooty and Gordon only doesn't know because he's too full of himself. When Gordon had to pull freight cars, he decided to "show Salty how an express engine pulls freight cars", but he ended up ignoring a "Go slow" sign and had a horrific accident. Salty apologizes for teasing him, and Gordon apologizes for being too full of himself.
Salty is easy-going, friendly and very practical. He also enjoys telling stories revolving around the sea and fantasy. His seafaring ways and accent are sometimes ridiculed by the other engines, but his usefulness almost always helps the others overlook that. He can work with trucks like no other engine; this is due to his enjoyment of working to a musical rhythm like the trucks and it may also be due to his vast collection of sea shanties. He loves the sea so much that he pines for it when he is away from it for long periods of time.
Salty is based on a BR Class 07 diesel shunter. The number he has, 2991, is a real BR number belonging to a member of the class; built in 1962, this locomotive escaped the cutter's torch by becoming a static generator at Eastleigh Railway Works and is still working there under the ownership of Knights Rail Services as of March 2007.
Salty is painted crimson with pink warning stripes along his body, yellow and black hazard stripes on his front and rear and yellow buffer beams with signs of rust. At the top of his forehead, he has the brim of a skipper's hat.
- Season 6 - Salty's Secret, Harvey to the Rescue (cameo), No Sleep for Cranky, and Gordon Takes a Tumble
- Season 7 - Bill, Ben and Fergus (cameo), What's the Matter with Henry? (cameo), James and the Queen of Sodor (cameo), The Spotless Record (cameo), Salty's Stormy Tale, Peace and Quiet, Best Dressed Engine (cameo), and Not So Hasty Puddings (cameo)
- Salty differs slightly from his basis. Most Class 07s have a crankshaft at the end of their siderods. Salty lacks this feature.
- Salty speaks with a West Country accent, which matches his bio and his deep love for the sea.
- Some Nitrogen Studios promos of Salty lack the rust on his bufferbeams.
- One of Salty's models was on display at Nitrogen Studios; its current location is unknown.
- A production-made face of Salty is preserved by the Coffey Man Preservation from the Prop Gallery.
- Salty has gone several modifications throughout the Television Series. These include:
- Season 7:
- His horn sound changed.
- Season 7:
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (regular, talking, oil splattered, and battery powered; battery powered discontinued)
- TOMY/TrackMaster (red and green versions)
- Bandai Tecs
- Take-Along (discontinued)
- Wind-up Trains
|North Western Railway|
|Thomas • Edward • Henry • Gordon • James • Percy • Toby • Duck • Donald and Douglas • Oliver • Barry • Harvey • Emily • Fergus • Arthur • Murdoch • The Austerity Engine • The Red Engine • Bill and Ben • Daisy • BoCo • Bear • Mavis • The Works Diesel • Diesel • Derek • Diesel 10 • 'Arry and Bert • Splatter and Dodge • Salty • Pip and Emma • Peel Godred Engines|