Smudger was a narrow gauge tank engine who worked on the Mid Sodor Railway. He was later turned into a generator.
According to Duke, Smudger was a showoff who rode roughly and often came off the rails. Duke tried to warn him to be careful, but Smudger never listened to his advice. He was finally punished by being turned into a generator and being put behind the engine shed.
No information was given about his fate once the Mid Sodor Railway closed, so it must be assumed that he has either remained there, was moved to a different location, was restored back to working order, or was scrapped.
Smudger was a complete showoff and often derailed, but refused to listen to advice. Duke warned him to be careful, but he took no notice until he was put in his place by being turned into a generator.
Smudger is based off of the Talyllyn Railway's Dolgoch, a Fletcher Jennings Class Bb 0-4-0WT. Rheneas shares the same basis. However, the 1998 magazine story Duncan Has a Spill, Smudger is portrayed as a Baldwin Class 10-12-D 4-6-0, similar to Stanley.
Smudger was painted dark green with black lining. He had black and brass name and number plates on the sides of his boiler and coal bunkers respectively. As he shared the same model as Rheneas, the inside of his cab is red. Despite being numbered on television, no toy or artwork has shown him with his number. In a rare image, Smudger's coal bunker is red.
- Smudger is the first character in the television series to not originally come from The Railway Series. However, his role replaces that of (No. 2) from Duke the Lost Engine.
- Smudger used the same model as Rheneas.
- In the fourth season episode, Gallant Old Engine, Rheneas was once seen wearing Smudger's upset face mask.
- Several of Smudger's features would later be reused for other characters, such as:
- Due to financial difficulties, his face was reused for Bertram.
- "Smudger, was a showoff. He rode roughly and often came off the rails. I warned him to be careful, but he took no notice. 'Listen, Dukie!", he snarled. "Who worries about a few spills!?' 'We do here!' I said, but Smudger just laughed. "Hahahaha!"
- Until one day, Manager said he was going to make him useful at last. Smudger stopped laughing then!"
- "Why? What did he do?"
- "He turned him into a generator. He's still there behind our shed. He'll never move again."
- Duke lecturing Stuart and Falcon about Smudger in Thomas' story, Granpuff, fourth season
- ERTL (discontinued)
- Wooden Railway (discontinued)
- Trading Cards (discontinued)
|Mid Sodor Railway|
|Duke • Stanley • Falcon • Stuart • Other Mid Sodor Railway Engines|