Snow Engine, retitled Oliver the Snow Engine in American releases, is the fourteenth episode of the seventh season.
Oliver hates the snow, but Toad believes that snow is splendid. While working, they see some children building a huge snowman and Toad observes that snow is magical, though Oliver still disagrees. After he finished all his work, Oliver is upset when the Fat Controller tells him he has to take a special to a mountain village. So reluctantly, Oliver collects the special train and heads back to the village. Unfortunately, Oliver slips on some icy rails and ends up crashing into the stomach of the children's snowman. It is too late to rescue Oliver so, when the children see Oliver fast asleep the next morning, they think the snowman has grown eyes in its stomach. This gives them an idea and dress Oliver up as a snowman. When Oliver wakes up, he is amused by all the happy children and now appreciates the snow. Toad, on the other hand, has changed his mind.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Stephen Hatt
- Duck (does not speak)
- Bridget Hatt (cameo)
- Jeremiah Jobling (cameo)
- Nancy (cameo)
- Going by production order, this is the sixteenth episode of the seventh season.
- A deleted scene from Thomas and Percy's Christmas Adventure is used.
- In the UK and most international versions (excluding the Latin American version):
- Whenever Oliver passes the children building the snowman, an instrumental version of the Snow Song is heard playing in the background.
- The song "My Bonnie" can be heard when Oliver's driver leaves Oliver during the night.
- In the scene of Oliver about to crash into the buffers at the village, the footage has been slowed down.
- This episode marks the last of a few things:
- The last appearances of Oliver and Toad respectively, excluding stock footage cameos for Oliver in Bulgy Rides Again and Best Dressed Engine. It's also to date the last episode to have Oliver as the main character.
- The last episode episode to feature neither members of the soon-to-be-established Steam Team, nor the Skarloey Railway engines. It's also the second overall after Buffer Bother.
- Toad was facing in the opposite direction from Oliver, but when Oliver derails he slides up alongside him.
- The snowman should have melted, as Oliver's boiler would have still been hot.
- Throughout the episode, Oliver is missing his right (viewer's left) lamp iron.
- It would have been impossible for the children to build the snowman that high, especially not in one day.
- Some of the children are wearing shorts in the snow.
- Toad is smiling when he derails.
- The narrator said that the village inn had a toasty warm room for Oliver's driver, but the fireman and guard aren't mentioned.