Reverend W. Awdry
It is wintertime on Sodor and Peter Sam, who had an accident with the slate trucks is still awaiting his new funnel, which, in the manager's words, will be "something special." The other engines make fun of his talk about the new funnel. The weather soon becomes bad and there is a washout near the tunnel, so Rusty brings workmen to fix the bridge. As days go by, the weather changes and becomes frosty and much colder. A few days later, the bridge is mended and Peter Sam is chuffing down the line with the morning passenger train. As he puffs through Rheneas Tunnel, his cracked funnel is knocked off by a large icicle hanging from the roof of the tunnel and he has to use a discarded drainpipe for a funnel. The engines laugh at Peter Sam when they see his "new funnel" is a drainpipe. Peter Sam's new funnel eventually arrives and he discovers it makes his work much easier. The engines do not make fun of Peter Sam's funnel anymore, because now they wish they had one like it.
- This episode is based on the story of the same name from The Railway Series book, Gallant Old Engine.
- In a rare still, Peter Sam still has his funnel on after leaving the tunnel. In the same picture, there is not any snow and he is pulling three coaches instead of two.
- In the US, this episode aired before Rusty Helps Peter Sam, so American viewers would not know who Rusty was or how Peter Sam's funnel got damaged.
- In the original version made in 1994, the music at the start is missing.
- Stock footage from Granpuff is used.
- This was the first episode that did not feature any standard gauge engines in any way.
- In a deleted scene, Peter Sam is wearing one of Sir Handel's face masks.
- On early UK releases of Rock 'n' Roll and other Stories, the music at the beginning and the music when Peter Sam had to use a pipe is omitted, most of Peter Sam's whistle sound is omitted and Sir Handel's song is heard later.
- In a close-up of Peter Sam, his face is a different size. This is because larger models are used.
- Peter Sam says, "I wish Manager would hurry up with my new funnel", but in the TV series, the Skarloey Railway has no manager, being under the control of the Fat Controller.
- During the top shot of Peter Sam entering the tunnel, you can see steam going off too late.
- When Peter Sam pulls into the sheds, the "wheeshing" sound is heard just before the steam.
- Peter Sam's funnel is completely knocked off, yet when he receives his new one, the base is still remaining.
- Rheneas appears, but he's supposed to be at the Works.
- As Peter Sam passes Skarloey and Rheneas, a camera shadow is seen.
- The narrator said that the drain pipe was wired to Peter Sam's boiler, but it was actually attached to his smokebox by rope.
In Other Languages
|German||Der Ersatzschornstein||The Replacement Funnel|
|Norwegian||En spesiell skorstein||A Special Funnel|
|Brazilian Portuguese||A Chaminé Especial||Special Funnel|
|Spanish||Una Chimenea Especial||A Special Funnel|
|Finnish||Veturin Erikoispiippu||Special Funnel|
|Slovenian||Poseben Dimnik||Special Funnel|
|Polish||Wyjątkowy Komin||Special Funnel|
|Dutch||Speciale Schoorsteen||Special Funnel|
|Hungarian||A különleges kémény||The Special Funnel|
|Russian||Необыкновенная труба||Special Funnel|
|Ukrainian||Особливий димар||Special Funnel|
|Italian||Una Ciminiera Speciale||Special Funnel|
|Welsh||Corn Simnai Arbenning||Special Funnel|
|Czech||Mimořádný Komín||Special Funnel|
|Romanian||Coşul de Fum Cel Special||Special Funnel|
|Slovak||Špeciálny Komín||Special Funnel|
|Swedish||En Speciell Skorsten||Special Funnel|
|Danish||Den Specielle Skorsten||Special Funnel|
|Greek||Ειδική Χωνί||Special Funnel|
|Thai||ปีเตอร์แซมได้ท่อไอน้ำอันใหม่||Peter Sam Has New Steam Pipes|
|Korean||피터 샘의 새 굴뚝||Peter Sam's New Chimney|