|Spooks and Surprises|
October 5th, 1998 (UK)
It's a peep peep and a chuff chuff for all Thomas the Tank Engine fans as we introduce the incredibly exciting brand new adventures from the mischievous little engine. Spooks and Surprises contains lots of ghostly adventures, exciting discoveries and lots of new characters!
The Fat Controller's letter (UK)
My Dear Friends,
Over the last few months, I have been in regular contact with my Mainland Colleagues, advising upon and guiding their work on a new series of Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends.
It has been quite difficult balancing this production role with my traditional Railway Running Responsibilities. 'Pon my soul, I have even had to refuse some of my good Lady wife's home-made scones and jam to ensure the stories were completed on time.
Hopefully, you will deem my humble self-sacrifice worthwhile when you view the truly splendid spectacle of nine new stories premiering on this video. My Number One Engine, Thomas, was so delighted when I gave him as sneak preview late yesterday afternoon that he 'Peep! Peeped!' all night, much to the annoyance of my other locomotives resting in the Engine Sheds.
These stories will introduce you to some new characters alongside more familiar faces in buffer-busting (and dare I say it, metal-melting!) action.
So, without further ado, switch on your TV and video player, insert the cassette and sit back to enjoy 'Spooks and Surprises'. Sodor Railways is delighted to welcome you on board once more!
With kind regains, I remain.
Sir Topham Hatt
- NOTE: The Fat Controller's letter acts as a description for some UK and Australian Thomas videos.
- Horrid Lorry*
- Gordon and the Gremlin
- Haunted Henry
- Toby's Discovery
- Thomas and the Rumours
- A Surprise for Percy
- Duncan Gets Spooked
- Rusty and the Boulder
* Only on the British release.
- Unlike earlier releases, the volume number on the New Zealand release is nowhere to be seen on the cover, but the tape's label refers to the video as Volume 15.
- Horrid Lorry, Gordon and the Gremlin, Haunted Henry and Toby's Discovery were the only episodes that were broadcast before the VHS was released.
- This VHS came out in the UK on the same day that Thomas, Percy and Old Slowcoach first aired.
- The front cover of the UK release features images from Saved from Scrap, Trust Thomas, and Cranky Bugs.
- The front cover of the Australian and New Zealand releases features an image from Busy Going Backwards.
- The Australian release is titled Spooks and Surprises and Other Stories, but there is no episode with that title. This error was corrected on the New Zealand release.
- The back covers of the UK and New Zealand releases incorrectly list Gordon and the Gremlin as "Gordon and the Gremlins". The Australian release did not have this error.