Sir Handel has recently had some unusual new wheels fitted and he gets teased about them by the others. Peter Sam refers to the time when he got a new funnel and was teased about it, until the other engines learned how useful it is. Sir Handel claims that he can go faster than the others. Skarloey, attempting to bring Sir Handel down to size, tells him of an anti-railway steamroller named George, whom Sir Handel vows to pay out. Sir Handel is later bringing a special train home when he meets George on the road alongside the railway, making it near impossible for him to pass. After the steamroller refuses to move aside, the two have a shouting match which ends when George crashes into Sir Handel's train. The next day, a fence is put up and George is taken away. Sir Handel claims credit, but loses his pride when some boys start lauding him with his race with the steamroller.
- Sir Handel
- Peter Sam
- The Little Boys
- The Policeman
- Thomas (cameo)
- James (cameo)
- Percy (cameo)
- Rheneas (cameo)
- Duncan (cameo)
- Duke (cameo)
- Bertie (cameo)
- Stephen Hatt (cameo)
- This episode is based on the story of the same name from The Railway Series book, Gallant Old Engine.
- This episode marks Sir Handel's last speaking role.
- The line "...they lumbered along as the insults continued." is omitted in the US narration. Instead, George retorts, "You don't own the road, get out of my way."
- Thomas has James' whistle sound.
- Rheneas appears briefly, but he's supposed to be at the Works.
- George's face is out of place in the first two scenes of him at the level crossing.
- After Sir Handel retorts "...I'm better" and chuffs off, George follows without a driver.
- When Sir Handel goes over the crossing, the sign post moves slightly.
- When George races Sir Handel, his back right wheel hits a bucket.
- When George crashes into the trucks, they derail, but in the next shot, they're tipped over.
- In the last scene, Rusty is tilted.
- On his way back to the sheds, Sir Handel passes a red signal.
- When George crashes into the trucks, a workman figure on the left of the screen has fallen onto the stone wall.
In Other Languages
|Norwegian||Dampveivalsen||The Steam Roller|
|German||Die Dampfwalze||The Steamroller|
|Spanish||La Gran Carrera||The Great Race|
|Welsh||Olwynion mawr||Big Wheels|
|Hungarian||Az Úthenger||The Drum|
|Ukrainian||Паровий Каток||Steam Roller|
|Slovenian||Parni valjar||Steam Roller|
|Czech||Parní Válec||Steam Roller|
|Romanian||Utilajul de Netezit||Smoothing Machine|
|Slovak||Parný Valec||Steam Roller|
|Brazilian Portuguese||O rolo compressor||The Steamroller|
|Thai||หัวรถจักรน้อยแข่งกับรถบดถนน||Engine Little Race on Rollers|