|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the character or the UK VHS/DVD.|
23rd September 2002 (UK)
The Fogman is the sixth episode of the sixth season.
Misty Valley lies along a branch line, which is often very misty. This is why Cyril, a friendly fogman who lives in Misty Valley, earns his keep by putting detonators on the rails to warn the engines of fog and landslides. Thomas enjoys seeing Cyril, and puffing over the blasting caps due to that they make his axles tingle. But one evening, the Fat Controller visits the engines to tell them that he has acquired an electric foghorn. He also says that Cyril will not be needed anymore, and will be given a much needed rest. Thomas is very disappointed to hear this. The foghorn is put on the hillside in Misty Valley.
While Percy was puffing through Misty Valley, the foghorn alarmed. Ironically after Percy was out of sight, the vibrations from the foghorn create a landslide, which sweeps onto the track and destroys the horn in the process. Thomas comes along, and as the horn is not working, Thomas has no idea about the landslide and derails. Then, Toby and Henrietta come along. There is no way of stopping them, until Cyril comes to the rescue. He puts down a cap to warn them, just in the nick of time. Once the mess is cleared up, Cyril is reinstated as Misty Valley's fogman.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Cyril the Fogman
- Annie and Clarabel (do not speak)
- Henrietta (does not speak)
- Henry (cameo)
- Terence (cameo)
- Cranky (cameo)
- Mirrored stock footage from James and the Trouble with Trees is used.
- The sound used for the foghorn is the same as Derek's horn sound.
- When Percy is traveling through Misty Valley and the foghorn goes off, he says "Oh jeepers!" in the US version and "Oh, bother!" in the UK version. Also, he says "but" in the US version when saying it doesn't make his axles tinkle, while saying "and it" in the UK version.
- In Sweden, this episode is called "Fog Horn". Its Welsh title is "In The Mist". In Japan, this episode is called "Fogman".
- Alec Baldwin doesn't say "and" when saying that Thomas was puffing right on time and not far away.
- The line "...said Thomas" at the end is omitted in the UK version.
- In the close-up of Percy at Misty Valley, the tracks in the background lead to the bushes. In the same shot, a wire can be seen in Percy's right-front window. He also is not pulling any trucks like in the surrounding shots.
- At the beginning of the episode, Thomas' driver has blond hair; after the crash, he has brown hair.
- When Thomas runs over the detonator, Annie is facing the wrong way.
- Thomas' eyes are wonky after he crashes into the rubble, and when he asks the Fat Controller what Cyril will do.
- Alec Baldwin doesn't say "The" at the beginning of the line "The foghorn had been so loud..."
- Wooden Railway (Fog cars; discontinued)
- Take Along (Fog cars; discontinued)
- Books - Thomas and the Fogman
- Magazine Stories - A Foggy Friend
In Other Languages
|Welsh||Y Niwl||The Fog|
|Russian||Дежурный в туманную погоду||Duty in Foggy Weather|
|Italian||Il Segnalatore Antinebbia||The Fog Warning|
|Slovenian||Signal za meglo||Fog Signal|
|Hungarian||A Ködjelző Kürt||The Fog Signal's Horn|
|Romanian||Omul Ceții||Mist Man|
|Korean||안개 경보||Fog Alert|
|Dutch||De mistman||The Fogman|