The Spiteful Brake Van was a troublesome brake van, who was subsequently crushed into pieces by Douglas.
The Spiteful Brake Van took an instant dislike to Douglas and purposely delayed his trains. This was until, Donald bumped him violently to teach him a lesson.
After Donald ran into the Tidmouth signalbox, James was saddled with the brake van, who continued his old tricks. Douglas, as a result, had to help James up Gordon's Hill. James was short of steam, and the brake van was soon squeezed between both the Troublesome Trucks and Douglas. By Douglas' force, he subsequently crushed the brake van into pieces. He was never rebuilt after that and was scrapped.
Ever since then, the Troublesome Trucks have not forgotten the brake van incident, and they do not dare play tricks on neither Donald or Douglas. It had been an accident really, but no one told the trucks that, and the trucks thought that Douglas smashed him on purpose. Because of this, Donald and Douglas have transformed goods traffic on the main line quite easily.
Like the Troublesome Trucks, and as his name implies, the Spiteful Brake Van was rude and disrespectful to the engines, especially Donald and Douglas, and incredibly impolite.
The Spiteful Brake Van was based on a standard NE brake van in the Railway Series, while in the television series, he was based on a BR 20 ton brake van. His ERTL model depicts him as an SR 25-ton "Pillbox" brake van.
In the Railway Series, the Spiteful Brake Van is painted grey with "NW" on his sides in white with 13 and 20T below that on his sides also in white. In the television series, he is painted grey, however, he changed to brown when Douglas crushed him.
One of his faces appeared on a Troublesome Truck in Percy's Predicament.
- 1998 - Donald and Douglas (does not speak)
- 1989 - Donald and the Breakaways (mentioned)
- Daisuke Gōri (Japan)
- In the magazine story Donald and Douglas, the Spiteful Brake Van is depicted as a standard van.
- One of the Spiteful Brake Van's face masks would later be used on a Troublesome Truck in the episode, Percy's Predicament.
- The van has only been named NW Brake Van in the Wooden Railway line.
- Along with Annie and Clarabel, the Spiteful Brake Van is one of the many rolling stock characters whose basis is different in the Railway Series and television series.