|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the Buzz Book.|
Thomas' Christmas Party (originally Thomas's Christmas Party) is the twenty-sixth episode of the first season. In the US, this episode first aired on Shining Time Station's Christmas special 'Tis A Gift in 1990, and aired on the last airing of Storytime with Thomas on FOX Family.
It is Christmas time and Thomas and Toby are very busy carrying people and parcels along the branch line. Despite Annie and Clarabel complaining that they are overloaded, Thomas retains his festive spirit.
Near his branch line is a little cottage. This is the home of an older woman named Mrs. Kyndley. Thomas always whistles "Happy Christmas!" to her and agrees that Christmas wouldn't be the same without her.
At the sheds, all the engines have been polished but Thomas doesn't mind and tells them he wants to throw Mrs. Kyndley a party to thank her for saving him from a landslide the year before. When she was ill in bed, she waved her red dressing gown out the window to warn Thomas and The Fat Controller sent her to Bournemouth to get better as a reward.
All the engines agree that a party is a great idea and hope that The Fat Controller agrees as well. He does, but on the day of the party, there is a heavy snowfall, trapping Mrs. Kyndley in her house. Thomas bravely puts on his snow plough and sets off with Toby to rescue her, and soon, they arrive at the cottage which is covered in snow. Thomas whistles to Mrs. Kyndley to tell her they have arrived when suddenly, Terence arrives with his snowplow to help clear a path from the cottage to the railway. Once everything is cleared away, Percy takes the workmen home and Terence stays behind to look after Mrs. Kyndley's cottage.
Thomas and Toby take her to the shed, where the party is supposed to be, but as they arrive home, they find the sheds in darkness. Suddenly, a switch is thrown and the sheds are covered in lights. The Fat Controller congratulates the two engines, everybody sings carols, and Mrs. Kyndley says it's the best Christmas party ever.
- Annie and Clarabel
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Mrs. Kyndley (debut)
- Terence (does not speak)
- Bertie (cameo)
- Henrietta (cameo)
- Tidmouth Sheds
- Mrs. Kyndley's Cottage
- Hackenbeck Tunnel
- The Viaduct (deleted scene)
- Knapford (deleted scene)
- Bournemouth (mentioned)
- This episode is based on the story of the same name, released alongside the series in 1984. It also features a flashback from the story Mrs Kyndley's Christmas from The Railway Series book, Toby the Tram Engine.
- Stock footage from Thomas' Train and Thomas, Terence and the Snow is used.
- The platform Sir Topham Hatt stands on is made out of Legos.
- The Christmas lights are real Christmas tree lights.
- The end credits are red in the original version.
- Clarabel is facing the wrong way in the opening shot.
- When the workmen fit Thomas' snowplough, blu-tak is on one of the men's legs.
- Throughout the episode, Toby keeps losing his brakevan.
- When the engines whistle, only Thomas, Edward, and Henry's whistles can be heard.
- At the Christmas party, Henry is in his old shape.
- When George Carlin provides the narration, Ringo Starr can be heard in the background when the engines sing at the end.
- In the PBS Kids Sprout version, around the time the engines save Mrs. Kyndley and the time Thomas gets back to the sheds, the narration is dramatically out of sync.
- Gordon's tender is missing in a close-up.
- The Christmas tree at Tidmouth is far too tall compared to the engine shed.
- In a deleted scene, Thomas' eyes are wonky.
- Books - Thomas's Christmas Party
- Buzz Books - Thomas's Christmas Party
- Ladybird Books - Thomas's Christmas Party
- Magazine Stories - Thomas's Christmas Party
Home Media Releases
|Season 1||Season 2 >>|
|#01||Thomas and Gordon||#10||James and the Express||#19||The Flying Kipper|
|#02||Edward and Gordon||#11||Thomas and the Guard||#20||Whistles and Sneezes|
|#03||The Sad Story of Henry||#12||Thomas Goes Fishing||#21||Toby and the Stout Gentleman|
|#04||Edward, Gordon and Henry||#13||Thomas, Terence and the Snow||#22||Thomas in Trouble|
|#05||Thomas' Train||#14||Thomas and Bertie||#23||Dirty Objects|
|#06||Thomas and the Trucks||#15||Tenders and Turntables||#24||Off the Rails|
|#07||Thomas and the Breakdown Train||#16||Trouble in the Shed||#25||Down the Mine|
|#08||James and the Coaches||#17||Percy Runs Away||#26||Thomas' Christmas Party|