|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the Buzz Book or the US VHS/DVD release.|
Thomas Comes to Breakfast is the eighteenth episode of the second season. In the US, this episode first aired on the Shining Time Station episode, Two Old Hands. It aired again in "Nickel in a Pickle".
Thomas' driver jokes that Thomas could almost run his branch line without him. Thomas does not realize he is joking though and becomes conceited. He brags to Percy and Toby later at the sheds and both tell Thomas that he needs a driver, but to no avail.
The next morning, a fire lighter comes and starts up the engines' fires. Thomas wakes up as the warmth spreads through his boiler and then realizes his opportunity to run by himself and prove Percy and Toby wrong by stopping and wheeshing in front of them. Thomas slowly starts moving along the track, but does not realize he is only moving because a careless cleaner has fiddled with his controls. Thomas quickly finds his mistake and tries to stop, but he could not without his driver. At the end of the tracks sits the stationmaster's house. Thomas crashes through the end buffers, the fence and the front window just as the family is sitting down to breakfast. The house rocks and shattered plaster and glass are everywhere. Both the stationmaster and his wife are angry at Thomas for crashing into their house and ruining their breakfast in the process. The stationmaster's wife bangs the door to the dining room, causing more plaster to fall on Thomas who feels depressed.
After workmen lay rails through the garden, Donald and Douglas arrive and pull Thomas free of the house. Thomas' front has been badly damaged by the impact and he is in disgrace.
Back at the shed, the Fat Controller scolds Thomas for his actions and sends him to the Works to be mended, but for a long time. As a result, a diesel railcar is going to be brought in to run his branch line and informs him that diesels always stay in the sheds unless wanted and never crash into stationmaster's houses.
- Donald and Douglas
- Sir Topham Hatt
- The Ffarquhar Stationmaster's Wife
- The Careless Cleaner (does not speak)
- The Ffarquhar Stationmaster (does not speak)
- Annie and Clarabel (cameo)
- Bridget Hatt (cameo)
- Mrs. Kyndley (cameo)
- The Ffarquhar Stationmaster's Children (cameo)
- Earnest (portrait cameo)
- The Firelighter (mentioned)
- Daisy (not named; mentioned)
- This episode is based on the story of the same name from The Railway Series book, Branch Line Engines.
- Stock footage from Thomas and the Guard is used.
- In the restored version, the scene of Thomas rushing is sped up.
- In the UK version, the Fat Controller tells Thomas, "You are a very naughty engine," but in the US version, he says, "You're in a lot of trouble, Thomas."
- This episode may have been filmed alongside Breakvan, as Donald's tender can be seen in the signalbox.
- In the US, this episode aired before Toby the Tram Engine and Donald and Douglas, so the viewers would not know who Toby, Donald, and Douglas are.
- In the UK version, the narrator says "Meanwhile, Donald and Douglas arrived". But in the US version, the narrator says "Then, the Scottish twin engines, Donald and Douglas arrived".
- A large scale model of Thomas is used for the scenes inside of the house.
- Clarabel is facing the wrong way and her roof is lifted when Thomas comes into Tidmouth.
- When the narrator mentions Thomas becoming conceited, Thomas is sad. This reaction wouldn't make sense for someone who's conceited.
- When Toby and Percy are sleeping, Toby is tilted to the left.
- In the close-up of Toby sleeping, his windows are open slightly, but in the wider shot of the three engines in the shed, Toby's right window (viewer perspective) is completely open. It then returns to be being slightly open when Thomas is rolling out of the shed.
- Just after Thomas finds that he cannot stop, he passes a station building on his left, but in the next shot he has not passed it yet.
- After Thomas has rolled out of the shed, there is a shot of the inside of his cab. At the top right-hand corner, there is a gap where the roof is not joined correctly.
- In the shots from Thomas' perspective before he runs into the house, the tracks on the right all seem to end abruptly at a wall (presumably the wall is to hide the edge of the set).
- Thomas should have called for help if he could not whistle.
- Just before Thomas crashes into the house, the window did not have glass in the frame.
- As Thomas crashes into the house, his wheels are not moving, nor do they move as he is being pulled out of the house.
- In the interior shots of the house, the people are almost as big as Thomas due to the fact that their large scale models are used.
- When Thomas is rescued, a bush is lying on his buffer beam, but when the Fat Controller is talking to him, the bush seems to have become larger.
- Douglas' left nameplate is peeling off slightly.
- At the end of the episode, a piece of hair is on Thomas' front.
- While Thomas is being pulled out of the house, a wire is visible underneath him.
- Wooden Railway - Thomas Comes to Breakfast Accessory Pack and Thomas Comes to Breakfast version of Thomas (discontinued)
- Books - Thomas Comes to Breakfast, Breakfast-Time for Thomas and Thomas Goes Crash! (coming soon)
- Buzz Books - Thomas Comes to Breakfast
- Railway Series Books - Thomas Comes to Breakfast
- Ladybird Books - Thomas Comes to Breakfast & BoCo the Diseasel (Ladybird Book)|Thomas Comes to Breakfast
In Other Languages
|Japanese||トーマスあさごはんにおじゃま||Thomas Comes to Breakfast|
|Spanish||La Visita de Thomas||Thomas' Visit|
|Welsh||Tomos mewn Trafferthion||Thomas in Trouble|
|Norwegian||Thomas kommer til frokost||Thomas Comes to Breakfast|
|German||Ein unwillkommener Frühstücksgast||An Unwelcome Breakfast Guest|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Uma Visita Inesperada/Thomas Vem Ao Café da Manhã||An Unexpected Visit/Thomas Comes to Breakfast|
|Dutch||Thomas gaat ontbijten||Thomas Comes to Breakfast|
|Danish||Thomas kommer til morgenmad||Thomas Comes to Breakfast|
|Slovenian||Tomaž pride na zajtrk||Thomas Comes to Breakfast|
|Hungarian||Thomas reggelije||Thomas' Breakfast|
|Finnish||Tuomas Tulee Aamiaiselle||Thomas Comes for Breakfast|
|Italian||La Locomotiva Presuntuosa||The Presumptuous Locomotive|
|Chinese||托马斯来吃早餐||Thomas Came to Breakfast|
|Korean||역장님댁을 무너뜨린 토마스||Thomas Broke the Stationmaster's House|
|Russian||Томас приходит на завтрак||Thomas Comes to Breakfast|
|Ukrainian||Томас прибуває на сніданок||Thomas Comes to Breakfast|
|Swedish||Thomas kommer till frukost||Thomas Comes to Breakfast|
|Romanian||Thomas Vine la Micul Dejun||Thomas Comes to Breakfast|
|Slovak||Thomas ide na raňajky||Thomas Goes for Breakfast|
|Czech||Tomáš jde na snídani||Thomas Comes to Breakfast|
|Polish||Tomek Wpada na Śniadanie||Thomas Rushes for Breakfast|
|Thai||โธมัสชนบ้านนายสถานี||Thomas Hit a Home Station|
Home Media Releases
|<< Season 1||Season 2||Season 3 >>|
|#01||Thomas, Percy and the Coal||#10||The Runaway||#19||Daisy|
|#02||Cows||#11||Percy Takes the Plunge||#20||Percy's Predicament|
|#03||Bertie's Chase||#12||Pop Goes the Diesel||#21||The Diseasel|
|#04||Saved from Scrap||#13||Dirty Work||#22||Wrong Road|
|#05||Old Iron||#14||A Close Shave||#23||Edward's Exploit|
|#06||Thomas and Trevor||#15||Better Late Than Never||#24||Ghost Train|
|#07||Percy and the Signal||#16||Break Van||#25||Woolly Bear|
|#08||Duck Takes Charge||#17||The Deputation||#26||Thomas and the Missing Christmas Tree|
|#09||Percy and Harold||#18||Thomas Comes to Breakfast||Cancelled:||The Missing Coach||