|This article is about 'the episode'. You may be looking for 'the Buzz Book'.|
Thomas and Bertie, retitled Thomas and Bertie's Great Race in North American releases, is the fourteenth episode of the first season.
Thomas is waiting at a junction when a bus drives up alongside him. The bus introduces himself as Bertie, who remembers Thomas from the time he took his passengers home after Thomas crashed into a snowdrift, and tells Thomas that he has come to help his passengers today. Thomas claims that he can go faster than Bertie. Bertie then challenges Thomas to a race. The drivers agree to the race, and Thomas and Bertie begin their race.
Bertie draws in front at the beginning of the race, until he reaches the level crossing, where Thomas passes him and takes the lead in the race, and after that, the road leaves the railway, and Thomas stops at the next station to collect passengers. He tells them to get in quickly, and as he starts off again, he sees Bertie zooming over the bridge and taking the lead. Thomas tries to catch up, but he has to stop at the next station. Thomas now feels sure that he will lose the race, but he feels better after a drink and starts off once more.
Thomas manages to catch up to Bertie and takes the lead as he passes Bertie at the tunnel and makes it to the last station, winning the race. Everyone celebrates Thomas' victory, but they give Bertie a big cheer too. Bertie congratulates Thomas and tells him that to beat him over that hill, he would have to grow wings and be an airplane.
The two friends often talk about their race, but Bertie's passengers do not like to be bounced like peas in a frying pan, and Sir Topham Hatt warns Thomas not to race at dangerous speeds. Although it doesn't seem likely the two will ever race again, secretly Thomas and Bertie would like to again some day.
- Annie and Clarabel
- Mrs. Kyndley (cameo)
- The Storyteller (cameo)
- Terence (mentioned)
- Sir Topham Hatt (mentioned)
- This episode is based on the story of the same name from The Railway Series book, Tank Engine Thomas Again.
- Stock footage from Thomas and Gordon and Thomas and the Guard is used.
- A reference to Thomas, Terence and the Snow is made.
- The shot of Thomas passing the windmill was featured in the show's original opening. The scene isn't restored colour in the restored version, but it is in the opening.
- The episode can be seen in a Japanese game, Magical Adventure.
- Thomas has one of Percy's faces on when he puffs into Elsbridge.
- The plane seen as Thomas leaves Dryaw has a clear disc for it's propeller.
- The narrator says, "...the road left the railway...", but there was a road right next to Thomas.
- At one point, Thomas is on Toby's old tramway.
- Annie and Clarabel keep changing positions throughout the race and both are facing the wrong way at some point.
- When Thomas meets Bertie, his number sticker is peeling up.
- When Thomas and Bertie start their race, a camera's shadow can be seen.
- Studio equipment can be seen when Thomas pulls into Ffarquhar.
- The narrator says Bertie was fuming at the gates, but Bertie looks happy.
- Wooden Railway - Thomas and Bertie Story Pack, Lets Have a Race set and 65th Anniversary Thomas and Bertie Story Pack
- Motor Road and Rail - The Big Race set and Thomas and Bertie set (discontinued)
- Hornby - Thomas and Bertie Set
- Take Along - Let's Have a Race Set (discontinued)
- Books - The Great Race
- Buzz Books - Thomas and Bertie
- Board Books - Thomas and Bertie
- Magazine Stories - Thomas and Bertie!/Thomas and Bertie
- Ladybird Books - Thomas and Bertie and Thomas Down the Mine