Three Cheers for Thomas, retitled Hooray for Thomas in American releases, is the twenty-sixth episode of the seventh season and the original series finial.
Thomas has to take some children to their annual sports day. When they arrive, a boy tells Thomas that he hopes he is number one and wins a medal. Thomas agrees it is magnificent to win a medal and later imagines himself with a medal around his boiler.
Later, Thomas and Bertie are at the sheds, when Percy arrives. He tells the two he is taking Sir Topham Hatt to the venue. Thomas tells him he can see the egg and spoon race there, where children race with eggs on spoons. The winner of the race gets a medal. Thomas tells Percy and Bertie he wishes he could have a medal and Percy tells him he would have to win a race. Bertie challenges Thomas to a race to the next station. Thomas accepts the challenge and the race begins.
Bertie edges in front at first, but manages to get stuck behind a slowing Trevor and Thomas takes the lead. However, he does not keep the lead for long, as he has to stop to pick up passengers. Bertie regains the lead as he rumbles over the bridge. Then, Bertie has to stop at a level crossing and Thomas takes the lead once more.
Thomas is almost at the station when he spots a signalman with a red flag in his hand and Sir Topham Hatt. Sir Topham explains that the medals were left in his office and asks Thomas to retrieve them. Thomas, no longer caring about the race, puffs away to retrieve the medals.
Down the line, Bertie arrives at the station having won the race. Bertie waits keenly for Thomas, but he never comes. Thomas is steaming back for the medals. He arrives at Knapford, where the stationmaster gives Thomas' driver the medals. Thomas arrives at the venue, with the medals, just in time for the medals to be handed out.
The next day, Thomas is at Maithwaite station when Sir Topham Hatt and Bertie arrive with a surprise for Thomas. A boy gives Thomas his own medal and wraps it around his funnel. Sir Topham Hatt and the boy express their gratitude for Thomas' hard work during sports day and they thought Thomas deserved a medal all for himself. Thomas thanks them for the medal and all the children give him 3 cheers.
- Sir Topham Hatt
- Annie and Clarabel (do not speak)
- James (cameo)
- Trevor (cameo)
- Butch (cameo)
- Tiger Moth (cameo)
- Stephen Hatt (cameo)
- Bridget Hatt (cameo)
- Jem Cole (cameo)
- Nancy (cameo)
- Stock footage from James and the Red Balloon, Make Someone Happy, It's Only Snow, Percy Gets it Right, James and the Queen of Sodor, and Bulgy Rides Again is used.
- A London, Midland, and Scottish Railway poster is seen at Maithwaite.
- This was the last episode of several things:
- The last episode of the classic series.
- The last episode directed by David Mitton.
- The last to have music composed by Mike O'Donnell and Junior Campbell in the UK.
- The final episode to have the classic series opening scene in the UK.
- The final episode to use the shot of Thomas in Tidmouth Yard for the end credits in the UK.
- The last with Peter Urie as executive producer.
- Britt Allcroft's final episode as creative consultant and the final episode to have her involved in the series' production.
- The last episode to be four minutes and thirty seconds long.
- This marks the second time Thomas and Bertie have a race since the first season episode Thomas and Bertie.
- A shortened version of this episode was made into a picture-read story for the passport in the My Journey with Thomas the Tank Engine book, titled Thomas and the Race.
- It is likely that the ending of this episode was filmed around the same time as A Visit from Thomas, as Miss Jenny can be seen waving on the platform at Maithwaite.
- When Thomas is flagged down, he is cross, but in a deleted scene, he is worried.
- The video option kiddie ride has statements of this episode.
- After Thomas stops to pick up passengers, his siderods change position.
- In the rear shot of Trevor, the left wheels of his cart are not moving.
- Percy said he was taking the Fat Controller to the sports day, but when Thomas was stopped, the Fat Controller is seen in his car.
- Thomas and Bertie should have known better than to have another race.
- As Thomas races through Dryaw, a strange white object (presumably a film glitch) is seen as he goes off screen.
- When all the kids surround Bertie, his right eye is a bit wonky.
- Because stock footage is used, James is pulling coaches in one scene. But in a few scenes later, he is pulling a goods train.
In Other Languages
|Japanese||トーマスだけのメダル||A Medal Only for Thomas|
|Danish||Hip hurra for Thomas||Hip Hooray for Thomas|
|Welsh||Hip Hip Hwre i Tomos||Hip Hip Hooray for Thomas|
|Hungarian||Thomas érmet kap||Thomas Gets a Medal|
|Italian||Urrà per Thomas||Hooray for Thomas|
|Swedish||Hurra för Thomas||Hooray for Thomas|
|Russian||Да здравствует Томас||Long Live Thomas|
|Romanian||Trei Urale pentru Thomas||Three Cheers for Thomas|
|Slovak||Tri medaile pre Thomasa||Three Medals for Thomas|
|Korean||금메달을 받은 토마스||Thomas Received a Gold Medal|
|Polish||Potrójne Brawa dla Tomka||Triple Applause for Thomas|
|Thai||โธมัสได้เหรียญพิเศษงานแข่งกีฬา||Thomas Has a Special Medal for Sporting Events|
Home Media Releases
- Hooray for Thomas and Other Adventures
- Season 7 (Digital Download)