Toad Stands By is the twentieth episode of the fourth season. It first aired in the US on the Shining Time Station special One of the Family in 1995 and re-aired in the Mr. Conductor's Thomas Tales episode, Wildlife in 1996.
Oliver returns from the works after an earlier incident with the trucks that accidentally pushed him into the turntable well. Oliver seems as good as new but is worried about the trucks, thinking that he would rather not use them. The trucks are prompted by their ringleader, S.C. Ruffey, sing a rude song to spite him and refuse to stop even when threatened by Thomas, Percy and Duck, who order them to be quiet.
Toad, fearing that the matter may escalate, asks Douglas to speak with Oliver and gives him an idea. Oliver, feeling a sense of responsibility after what the trucks did to him previously, agrees with Toad. Following Toad's advice, Oliver handles the worst trucks two by two so he can handle S.C. Ruffey last. Oliver soon shunts S.C. Ruffey and his lieutenants and prepares to pull them, but S.C. Ruffey whispers to the trucks to hold back and they do. Oliver, however, is determined and simply pulls S.C. Ruffey apart, much to the horror of the other trucks and the delight of Duck and Toad.
The Fat Controller arrives and scrutinizes the remains, he attributes it to S.C. Ruffey's poor build due to material fatigue and design flaw and decides to have him repaired. Sometime later, the trucks become fearful of Oliver and whisper to each other not to anger him. S.C. Ruffey, who is now repaired, wisely remains silent.
- This episode is based on the story of the same name from The Railway Series book, Oliver the Western Engine.
- Going by production order, this is the twenty-third episode of the fourth season.
- Despite being aired and produced after Bulgy, it actually takes place before it.
- This is S.C. Ruffey's only appearance, aside from a deleted scene in Horrid Lorry; his face was also used for many other trucks in the fifth season.
- Stock footage from Oliver Owns Up is used.
- This is the fourth time where Douglas appears without Donald, the first being in Escape, the second being in Rusty to the Rescue and the third being in Thomas and Stepney.
- At the beginning of the episode, the scrapyard Oliver passes is really the Skarloey Railway Engine Sheds set redressed with scrap models of Thomas, Gordon, and Donald and Douglas.
- Oliver no longer has a Brooklyn accent in the American narration.
- There are some differences in the US and UK narrations. Some differences are:
- When Duck yells to Oliver and the trucks, "Go it." In the UK narration." in the UK version, but in the US narration, he just says "Go on.".
- In the US narration, the line "OOOOOOOOOHHHHH! " is omitted.
- In the UK narration, Douglas says, "Of course, Toad." In the US narration, he says "Certainly, Toad!"
- This is the only time tankers have faces. The faces are the same ones used on the Skarloey Railway's slate trucks.
- The song sang from the trucks when Oliver arrives at the yard has the same tune of Pop Goes the Diesel.
- The loud crashing sound effect heard when S.C. Ruffey falls apart has also been used in several other Classic Series episodes, notably in the fifth season episode, Rusty and the Boulder, when Boulder damages the sheds at the yards.
- This episode marks Oliver and Toad's only speaking roles in the fourth season and Toad's first speaking role in the television series.
- Capsule Plarail of S.C. Ruffey can reproduce the destroyed figure like this story.
- In a close-up of the trucks singing, one truck has a broken buffer.
- Before the trucks start singing, there are two trucks in-between Duck and Thomas. However when the trucks stop singing and are told to be quiet, they disappear.
- Toad asks Douglas if he can work with Oliver, even though Oliver did not give Toad to Douglas after his escape in the TV series like he did in the Railway Series. This error is due to the fact that much of the episode's script is copied word-for-word from the original story.
- When the trucks are singing, a spider can be seen crawling a van before the close-up of Duck.
- When Oliver stops after going in between two rows of trucks, in one shot he is stopped just before two vans on either side, but then in the next shot he is between the two vans on either side.
- When Oliver says "It's really my fault, I shouldn't have fallen in the turntable well," Henry's trucks wobble and then derail.
- Douglas has Duck's whistle sound when he agrees to Toad's plan. At the end of the episode, Douglas has a different whistle sound.
- In the close-up shots of Oliver when he is talking to Duck and Toad, plastic bases can be seen under his driver and fireman's feet.
- When Oliver starts pulling the trucks, S.C. Ruffey is right next to Toad, but in the head-on shot of him groaning, he is several meters ahead of Toad.
- When S.C. Ruffey collapses, his axles are gone.
- In the American narration, George Carlin accidentally says "'N-n-no, sir,' said said Oliver nervously," saying "said" twice.
- S.C. Ruffey, at the end of the episode, has two chains on his hook.
- James has a different whistle sound.
- In the Japanese and Italian narrations, the trucks' voices are still in English.
In Other Languages
|Norwegian||Stol på Toad||Trust Toad|
|Swedish||Paddy hjälper ut||Toad Helps Out|
|Japanese||トードのめいあん||Toad's Good Idea|
|Spanish||El Plan de Toad||Toad's Plan|
|Italian||Il Piano di Toad||Toad's Plan|
|German||Toads Plan||Toad's Plan|
|Hungarian||Toad Segít||Toad Helps|
|Finnish||Tomi-Jarruvaunun Neuvo||Toad The Brakevan Stands By|
|Russian||Поддержка Тоуда||Support Toad|
|Ukrainian||Тоуд пiдтримує||Toad Supports|
|Czech||Toad přihlíží||Toad Stands By|
|Dutch||Paddie helpt||Toad Helps|
|Slovenian||Žabec predlaga načrt za maščevanje||Toad Proposes a Plan for Revenge|
|Greek||Ο Τοντ βοηθάει τον Όλιβερ||Toad Helps Oliver|
|Romanian||Toad Dă un Sfat||Toad Gives Counsel|
|Slovak||Toad chce stáť||Toad Wants to Become|
|Polish||Pomysł Anatola||The Idea Toad|
|Chinese||陶德准备行动||Toad Ready for Action|
|Korean||올리버의 복수||Oliver's Revenge|
|Brazilian Portuguese||A Lição de Oliver||Oliver's Lesson|
|Thai||รถบรรทุกเกเรได้รับบทเรียน||Truck Unruly Receive Lessons|
|Danish||Toad Hjælper Til||Toad Helps Too|