Stepney is enjoying his visit to the North Western Railway and offers to help Percy with his goods trains. After delivering loaded trucks to the harbour, Stepney goes past a cricket field with some "empties" when a batter hits a "six" and their only ball lands in a truck. Stepney does not realise this and when his driver sees Caroline chasing after them with the desperate cricketers inside, he mistakes them for joyriders and speeds up, much to Caroline's annoyance as she easily overheats when travelling at high speed. At last after being forced over a hill, Caroline arrives at the station and the men get their ball back, but Stepney's driver notes Caroline looks exhausted and suggests that she be rolled onto a flatbed so she can rest during the return journey. The cricketers ride back in a brake van and Stepney, his crew and Caroline watch the end of the game.
- The Elsbridge Cricket Club
- The Tailor
- Thomas (does not speak)
- Toby (does not speak)
- Henry (cameo)
- James (cameo)
- Duck (cameo)
- Donald (cameo)
- Bulgy (cameo)
- Jem Cole (cameo)
- The Vicar of Wellsworth (cameo)
- Farmer Trotter (cameo)
- Bulgy's Bridge
- Knapford Harbour
- Tidmouth Sheds
- Shunting Yards
- Toryreck Shed
- Elsbridge Cricket Field
- Road Beside Rail and Canal Runby
- Hackenbeck Tunnel
- This episode is based on the story of the same name from The Railway Series book, Stepney the "Bluebell" Engine.
- Going by production order, this is the eighteenth episode of the fourth season.
- Edited scenes are used in The Red Balloon song. One shot superimposes the red balloon above the cricket field and another shows the cricketers smiling.
- In the UK narration, Caroline says "HURRAH!" but in the US version she says "YAHOO!"
- This marks Caroline's only speaking role in the fourth season as well as Bulgy's only appearance in the fourth season and the Elsbridge Cricket Club member's only speaking roles to date.
- This is that last appearance of Hackenbeck Tunnel.
- After Percy arrives with his trucks, his roof is lifted.
- As Stepney arrives at Knapford Harbour, Thomas is seen leaving with some trucks, but he was still at Tidmouth Sheds when Stepney left. Also, his first truck derails before it goes off screen.
- Studio equipment is visible in the shots of the cricket field.
- Stepney has Rheneas' whistle sound.
- At Knapford Harbour, Henry and James' eyes are wonky.
In Other Languages
|Spanish||No Detengan el Juego||Don't Stop the Game|
|Danish||Toget standser spillet||Train Stops the Game|
|Finnish||Pallo Pelistä Pois||Ball Game Off|
|Welsh||Dim Pêl - Dim Gêm||No Ball - No Game|
|German||Ohne Ball kein Spiel||No Play Without Balls|
|Norwegian||Tog stanser spillet||Train Stops Play|
|Swedish||Stepney stoppar spelet||Stepney Stops The Game|
|Dutch||Trein Vangsten Bal||Train Catches Ball|
|Italian||Partita interrotta||Interrupted Game|
|Czech||Vlak, který zastavil zápas||Train which stopped Match|
|Russian||Поезда перестают играть||Train Stops Playing|
|Ukrainian||Потяг припиняє гру||The Train Stops in December|
|Hungarian||A félbeszakadt krikettjáték||The Interrupted Cricket Game|
|Slovenian||Vlak prekine tekmo||Train Interrupted Match|
|Romanian||Trenul Opreşte Jocul||Train Stops Play|
|Slovak||Vlak sa prestane hrať||The Train will Stop the Play|
|Polish||Koniec Zabawy||End of Fun|
|Chinese||列车不动了||The Train Did Not Move|
|Brazilian Portuguese||Trem para o Jogo||Train to the Game|
|Greek||Το τρένο σταματά το παιχνίδι||The Train Stops Play|
|Thai||หัวรถจักรเขาแข่งคริกเก็ต||Engine and his Race Cricket|
Home Media Releases