|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the Buzz Book.|
Thomas finds out that Bertie has lost his trust in the railway's service after it failed to deliver tar to mend the roads two weeks earlier, and resolves to find the source of the problem.
Meanwhile, James is complaining about having to shunt while Percy is at the harbour when Gordon advises him to pretend to be sick. When Thomas arrives James tells him he is ill, and Thomas offers to take his trucks for him. The trucks, who are cross at James for bumping them, decide to get to take their anger out on Thomas. On the way back from the quarry, the trucks push Thomas over some points and onto a jetty, which floats across the pond and sinks. Thomas is humiliated at the crash.
Duck takes the trucks away and Edward helps Thomas home. When Thomas tells Edward about the tar, he recalls several wagons were left at Wellsworth and collects them to ensure they reach Bertie now. James and Gordon apologize for their trick, and Bertie arrives to tell Thomas that his road is about to be mended. Bertie regains his trust in the railway while Gordon and James slowly depart for the shed.
- Percy (does not speak)
- Duck (does not speak)
- Annie and Clarabel (cameo)
- Knapford Yards
- Anopha Quarry
- The Quarry Tramroad
- Sodor Shipping Company
- Ffarquhar River Bridge
- Callan Pond
- Arlesdale Lake and Mountains Line
- Arlesdale Castle
- The Rail Barge
- Wellsworth (mentioned)
- Knapford Harbour (mentioned)
- Tidmouth Sheds (mentioned)
- Parts of the plot of this episode are adapted from the magazine story Bertie's Bumpy Roads.
- A deleted scene of Thomas running on Toby's Old Tramway from the first season is used at the beginning of this episode.
- This marks the last appearance of the red lining on the back of Thomas' coal bunker until The Adventure Begins.
- James' subplot of pretending to be ill, as suggested by Gordon is loosely adapted from Sir Handel's subplot in Trucks! The story of origin would be adapted in the following season.
- This episode is very similar to Percy's Predicament, in which an engine is too lazy to do their work and another engine gets into an accident because of it.
- In the early narration of James snorting about in the yard, the music is ommited.
- The causeway Thomas puffs across is the one on Toby's old tramway.
- Although James says that he has to do Percy's work while Percy's at the harbour, Percy can be seen in the background in a close up of Gordon smiling in the yard.
- While Thomas passes the camera while taking the trucks to the quarry, the last truck's face is falling off.
- In one of the shots of Thomas passing the camera with the empty trucks, one of the truck's faces is off-centre.
- When Thomas leaves the quarry and when Thomas crosses the bridge, his trucks have no faces, even though they had them before and after.
- Thomas passes the points leading to the muddy pond before the narrator has time to say so.
- While Thomas was being pushed by the troublesome trucks into the pond, Thomas' weight moved the track slightly.
- The narrator said that Thomas' driver applied the brakes, but his wheels are still moving.
- In a rare picture, a camera can be seen at the top left amongst the trees before Thomas runs onto the jetty.
- In the close-up of Thomas after he rides the jetty, his wheels have already sunk into the pond, but in the next shot of his wheels, they have not sunk yet.
- Edward says a truck of tar was left at his station, but two appear in the flashback.
- The toad on Thomas' front at the end has adhesive underneath its feet.
- In the US version, the narrator says that the trucks pushed Thomas past the points even though this had happened long before the scene had begun.
- In the restored version, James goes past the camera completely when pushing the trucks, resulting in his actions being repeated when he meets Gordon in the next scene.
- Thomas: Bad luck Bertie. Now if you were a steam engine, you would run on a pair of reliable rails.
- Bertie: Hmmph! The railway was supposed to deliver tar to mend the road two weeks ago! You can't trust a thing that runs on rails!
- Thomas: I run on rails! You can trust me Bertie. I'll see if I can find out what's happened.
- [Thomas sees James and Gordon looking miserable]
- Thomas: Cheer up. It's a beautiful day.
- Gordon: Yes, but not for James.
- Thomas: What's the matter?
- Gordon: He's sick!
- James: Yes, he is. I-- I mean, I am! I don't feel well at all.
- Thomas: Don't worry. I'll help out if you're ill.
- James: I'm sorry about your accident. And so is Gordon. We didn't mean to get you into trouble.
- Gordon: No, indeed! A mere misunderstanding, Thomas. All's well that ends well.
In Other Languages
|Danish||Stol Trygt på Thomas||Count on Thomas|
|Norwegian||Stol på Thomas||Trust Thomas|
|Swedish||Stol på Thomas||Trust Thomas|
|Dutch||Vertrouw Maar op Thomas||Just Trust Thomas|
|German||Vertrauen ist Besser||Trust is Better|
|Spanish||En Thomas Puedes Confiar||You Can Trust In Thomas|
|Portuguese||Confiar em Thomas||Trust Thomas|
|French||La Confiance Est Mieux / Confiant Thomas (Québec)||Trust is Better / Trusting Thomas (Canada)|
|Italian||Fidati di me!||Trust Me!|
|Finnish||Tuomakseen voi Luottaa||Thomas Can Be Trusted|
|Slovenian||Na Tomaža se lahko zanesete||In Thomas You Can Trust|
|Catalan||La Confiança és Millor||Trust is Better|
|Romanian||Să Aveți Încredere în Thomas||To Trust Thomas|
|Slovak||Verte Thomasovi||Believe Thomas|
|Hungarian||Thomas a Megbízható||Trusted Thomas|
|Czech||Věřte Tomášovi||Believe Thomas|
|Polish||Zaufajcie Tomkowi||Trust Thomas|
|Welsh||Dibynnu ar Tomos||Rely on Thomas|
|Greek||Ένα έμπιστο τρενάκι||A Trusted Train|
|Russian||Томасу можно верить||Thomas Can be Believed|
|Ukrainian||Довіряйте Томасові||Trust Thomas|
|Korean||토마스의 대단한 하루||Thomas' Great Day|
|Thai||โธมัสที่แสนดี||Thomas is Good|
Home Media Releases
|<< Season 2||Season 3||Season 4 >>|
|#01||A Scarf for Percy||#10||The Trouble with Mud||#19||One Good Turn|
|#02||Percy's Promise||#11||No Joke for James||#20||Tender Engines|
|#03||Time for Trouble||#12||Thomas, Percy and the Post Train||#21||Escape|
|#04||Gordon and the Famous Visitor||#13||Trust Thomas||#22||Oliver Owns Up|
|#06||Thomas Gets Bumped||#15||Toby's Tightrope||#24||Heroes|
|#07||Thomas, Percy and the Dragon||#16||Edward, Trevor and the Really Useful Party||#25||Percy, James and the Fruitful Day|
|#08||Diesel Does it Again||#17||Buzz, Buzz||#26||Thomas and Percy's Christmas Adventure|
|#09||Henry's Forest||#18||All at Sea||Canceled:||Gordon Goes Foreign||